Can you guys identify these parts ?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dang, I am late to the game. It seems only numbers 4, 5 and 7 are unidentified.

Number 4 is the relay for the a/c condenser fan; it mounts on the right fender below the coil.

Number 5 is part of the vacuum control system for the carbs. I think it is called a speed switch. You won't need it if you change the motor.

Number 7 is the switch for the light in the trunk.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Item 3 is ballast resistor for ignition coil
Item 2 is the voltage regulator
Item 1 looks like the choke relays for zenith carbs but not sure.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Air conditioner compressor relay located below coil on fender

Are you sure you aren't thinking of item #1. The AC system has two relays, one near the coil and one near the fuse box. Both are rectangular.

The Hella "Can relay" with the mounting tabs can be found near the battery tray on 2002's...

IMG_0790.JPG

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Markos -- my a/c relays are just as pictured here. The square one, item number 1 is mounted immediately below the fuse block. The round one with the tabs is mounted to the right front fender below the ignition coil (or at least it was until I changed it).

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dang, I am late to the game. It seems only numbers 4, 5 and 7 are unidentified.

Number 4 is the relay for the a/c condenser fan; it mounts on the right fender below the coil.

Number 5 is part of the vacuum control system for the carbs. I think it is called a speed switch. You won't need it if you change the motor.

Number 7 is the switch for the light in the trunk.

are you sure number 7 ? isnt it the hand brake contact for red light in the dash ?

i can not discuss number 5, is that an US spec ? for emissions control ?

regards

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos -- my a/c relays are just as pictured here. The square one, item number 1 is mounted immediately below the fuse block. The round one with the tabs is mounted to the right front fender below the ignition coil (or at least it was until I changed it).

Hmm. My '73 has a rectangular relay near the coil.

29557686846_cef335ec5f_b.jpg

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Number 5 is known as a speed relay, mounted under the coil, it controls the emission dashpots that mount on the firewall in US coupes. Throw it away along with those gold dashpots, wires and vacuum tubing.

autowerks

Site Donor
Reaction score
guys, lets not fight about this!
Tony has a 71 2800cs, I checked mine and number 1 and 4 are basic 4 prong relays and both are for a/c.
number 1 is located under fuse box and number 4 is located under the Ignition coil so everybody is right, however number 7 is for hand brake light for sure!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
guys, lets not fight about this!
Tony has a 71 2800cs, I checked mine and number 1 and 4 are basic 4 prong relays and both are for a/c.
number 1 is located under fuse box and number 4 is located under the Ignition coil so everybody is right, however number 7 is for hand brake light for sure!

HaHa we could 'fight' about this for a month and I wouldn't mind. Opinions may vary but we aren't arguing as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I find variations are interesting!

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you all for participating in my questioner! Everyone has been so amazing and fun to connect with . I am really loving it here...
I hope I can return the favor sometime soon!
Thanks again guys!
Cheers
Tony P.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm with Markos; I like the back and forth as I learn about the model year changes that way. Oh, and for the record, DeQ is correct about switch number 7. I was mistaken.