can you help identifying this air filter ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i have found a spare air filter element for a carbed car, but i have found several differences with my original air filter

my car is a 3.0 cs dated 1971

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i am trying to understand the differences i have found in this air filter element

on top side it is similar to mine (my car is an euro 1971 3.0 cs)

but if you turn it down, you i can see the following diferences:

red arrows show on the right side of the picture an unexpected hose for rear carburetor, what for ? i do not have that hose in my original setup, should i cap it close ?

on the left side of the photo i can see an additional tube retainer, i would assume it is for the fuel rubber tube, right ?

i know the green arrowed hose, i have that one too

this clamp is unusual to my eye, i have the other type that consist of a curved plate, is this an earlier / older type ?

050120079049_zpssf0m3m1y.jpg

BTW, inlet diameter of the air filter element is 70mm, i assume that is the correct one for a 3.0, as i have heard of smaller diameter in case of the 2800 cs, right ?

thank you for helping in this

Last edited:

phead82

Reaction score
Looks just like my air filter housing for my 74 CS (US model) including the clamps.

I don't have the vertical tube though on the right, in your 2nd picture. Not sure what that one's for?

The tube retainer seems to coincide on mine with the vacuum line running to the distributor.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Looks just like my air filter housing for my 74 CS (US model) including the clamps.

I don't have the vertical tube though on the right, in your 2nd picture. Not sure what that one's for?

The tube retainer seems to coincide on mine with the vacuum line running to the distributor.

hi Patrick,
thank you,
so US model ? hummm...

as to the vertical tube, ok, no news yet ,...lets hope someone will know and comment (right now i am prone to cap it and forget about it)

as to the tube retainer, let me say that in my humble opinión it is difficult to think about the vacuum line, as the retainer shown in the pic is in front of the rear carb in fact, and the vacuum hose is usually coming from the front carb,...right ?

i tend to think that that tube retainer is in the route of the fuel tube towards the fuel pump, only doubt for this thinking is that the retainer seems to be too narrow for a 13mm rubber fuel tube !!??

regards

phead82

Reaction score
so US model ? hummm...

as to the tube retainer, let me say that in my humble opinión it is difficult to think about the vacuum line, as the retainer shown in the pic is in front of the rear carb in fact, and the vacuum hose is usually coming from the front carb,...right ?

i tend to think that that tube retainer is in the route of the fuel tube towards the fuel pump, only doubt for this thinking is that the retainer seems to be too narrow for a 13mm rubber fuel tube !!??

regards

I'm not stating that what I say is correct, I'm just saying that this is what I can see on mine ;-)

Concerning my US filter housing: it might not be country specific altogether, since there is one on eBay Germany at the moment which looks exactly like mine (and it's highly unlikely that this is a US housing being sold):

http://www.ebay.de/itm/191724889702?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ, I believe the vertical tube is for a line coming from the charcoal canister below the battery tray.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hope this helps

I took this picture so I could remember where everything goes. As my grade-school teacher (Sister John Bosco) said: "it's not important to know the answer, it's important to know how to find the answer". Gotta' love those penguins!

Attachments

• dqs q.jpg
    dqs q.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 99

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ, I believe the vertical tube is for a line coming from the charcoal canister below the battery tray.

wow, thank you, @Peter amazing photo,
but....charcoal canister ????
what is that for ? i haven´t seen one in my life, is it a US thing ?
that tube has negative pressure, so suction from the carbs,....

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
At least on US models the gas tank is vented to a plastic tank in the trunk above the passenger's side rear wheel. A plastic tube then goes from there, through the interior, out the passenger side firewall, across to the driver side, then on to a charcoal canister under the battery tray. Another tube then goes from the cannister to the air cleaner. It is used to burn off gas accumulated gas tank vapors from the tank instead of venting to the atmosphere. When this line cracks either in the trunk or interior it is a cause of fuel odor.

I am not sure why the vacuum tube attaching to the oil vent tube is necessary, this would suck gunk directly into the rear carb. I disconnected all of this stuff.

wow, thank you, @Peter amazing photo,
but....charcoal canister ????
what is that for ? i haven´t seen one in my life, is it a US thing ?
that tube has negative pressure, so suction from the carbs,....

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
At least on US models the gas tank is vented to a plastic tank in the trunk above the passenger's side rear wheel. A plastic tube then goes from there, through the interior, out the passenger side firewall, across to the driver side, then on to a charcoal canister under the battery tray. Another tube then goes from the cannister to the air cleaner. It is used to burn off gas accumulated gas tank vapors from the tank instead of venting to the atmosphere. When this line cracks either in the trunk or interior it is a cause of fuel odor.

wooooooow !

i guess that such a thing is not incorporated to Euro cars, exception made of swiss cars (they had strong emissions requirements too)

well essentially i will cap it and forget

thanks

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I took this picture so I could remember where everything goes. As my grade-school teacher (Sister John Bosco) said: "it's not important to know the answer, it's important to know how to find the answer". Gotta' love those penguins!

peter:

"...As my grade-school teacher (Sister John Bosco) "

were you in the Salesian school ?

i was in the Jesuits, and they say: ""it's not important to know the answer, it's important to know who knows the answer". :razz:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i will have to look closer at my car. i know the blue hose runs thru the interior, i saw it when i replaced the carpet. i didn't pay attention to whether or not it was attached to the tank in the trunk when i moved the tank to access the belt trim nuts (to remove the belt trim). i have never looked for the charcoal canister - i presumed that it fell off when the car was painted and the engine was replaced with an injected 3.5

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Conjecture

DeQ, I don't remember which branch of the "collar" tried to teach me, but I flunked Latin with the Jesuits and had to go to a different school (Latin was not the only thing I flunked). it was the 70's so that explains a little...

Regarding the charcoal canister, we had those in some US cars, Ford/Chrysler, etc. I swear they were made out of re-purposed "Chock-full-of-nuts" coffee cans, anyway, I think the blue line from the trunk went to the charcoal canister then back to the air filter, but mine is a 1970 and I think it may have gone directly from the blue line to the air cleaner, and in post-70 cars they added the coffee can-just a guess.

gwittman

Reaction score
You are right. My 70 Coupe has no charcoal canister. The fuel tank evaporation line goes directly from the reservoir in the trunk to the air filter housing fitting.

I got into an argument with a smog inspector about that charcoal canister before my car became exempt from emissions testing. He insisted my car originally came with it. He was wrong and finally gave in to my strong insistence that it did not come from the factory with one.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our 70 2800 also has no canister, it goes straight to the carb. The clamps with a solid band are on all early BMWs. The wire clamp is available from BMW, the early one is not. My 69 2002 and NK sedan as well as the 2800 have solid bands. The 73 coupe has wire style.