Cannonball!!!!!!!!!

petert

Reaction score
For the past 2 years I've restored (well, actually the professionals did) my '73 CS to factory specs. I decided to enter it into the Great American Run rally between NYC and LA starting this Sunday, July 29th. The car was shipped from Santa Rosa, CA to NYC so I can fly in and drive it back.

Bimmer magazine got wind of this and decided to profile the car and the run for their November issue. The photo sessions are done, the race is about to get under way and we've created a blog for anyone interested to follow this adventure at www.bmwacrossamerica.blogspot.com

Anyway, I always figured the car was more than capable (90,000 original miles and every inch of the car gone over-) but I have to find out how well I perform so I enlisted my son to be the navigator. This years prize is a 500hp Mustang (which my son can have) but next years prize is $1,000,000 (which he can split with me). I look at this race as a warm up for next year. So off we go fighting off the ferrari's, mustangs, aston martins, chevy's and anthing else that hits the road with us. All told, about 400 cars from around the country and the world will be driving across the country in 4 days with a track day in Vegas. Party every night with a blowout in LA.

But let me say it's been this site of other coupe owners that kept driving me to this point. Always the most helpful bunch of brothers in arms that I have ever come across. My fellow coupe owners- this run might be made by my son and me, but you guys were there for me to get my questions answered and I got tons of valuable information from all the other posts. This is a great group and I hope bimmer mag gets this web site right. See you on the other side. Peter

WOW is right !...I am G R E E N with envy...
Thats gonna be one amazing experience...
Thx for sharing with the Blog
May the force be with you guys and the coupe :D
G

cannonball followup

I was on the golden gate bridge just after sunset when the cannonball race blew past me last year, or maybe it was the year before. I was in a coupe, none of them were. Ain't no way they were averaging 61MPH! Quite an impressive group of cars. Fast cars, faster women!

I've chased down a few coupes around Santa Rosa but have never seen yours. Looks pretty nice!

Let's have a coupster "wecome back" celebration after the race with lots of stories for those of us who can appreciate them! I'll volunteer my house if needed, in between the Kendall Jackson, La Crema and Simi vineyards with plenty of parking for a display.

Cannon Ball

our coupe is more than capable. I did it in 2002 albeit not in a race but I did drive from San Pedro CA (land of the Coupe King) to Portsmouth NH in 4 days. And my coupe had been sitting for 15 years before Peter gave it an inspection and fixed a few parts....
It will be more fun if you bring someone with you, I went alone and there are a lot of places with no radio or cell reception out west!

Have fun, I wish I was right behind you in my coupe!

who else is checking in on the cannonball coupes progress , how about we extend a helping hand out to them on their trip , if you are on the route let them know so if they need help/parts etc you could help them out . Kinda be nice don't ya think.

PJ

Back