Car being parted out

Wladek

Reaction score
I scared even to think how much seller will want for main firewall vin plate (if still have it at all).
Without docs anyone now can use that VIN number, that plate is just secondary plate.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
seems really odd to sell one at that price. you can buy a new plate from coupeking (and other places) - but coupeking will stamp the vin # for you.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
That price is crazy (imho). What are you getting? A VIN plate for not-your-car. AS Scott notes above, you can get a VIN plate stamped with your actual VIN for so much less.

Not sure if you guys are serious. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys are serious.
I'm not sure which part is in question. :D
Regarding this VIN plate, I would think the only value is to be used as a novelty key chain trinket or xmas ornament. Maybe $20 or so.
As for replacement VIN plates for restoration, that was one of the first thing bought from Coupe King.
http://www.coupeking.com/product/vin-plates/
They stamped it with my VIN. So if I choose to use it on my "fully restored" car (we'll see how long that takes), it will compliment the otherwise pristine engine bay. Of course, I will have the original VIN plate (in a nice little cloth bag) along with the chassis stamp and steering column plate that all match and prove the car's origin.

That's my logic.;)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm not sure which part is in question. :D
Regarding this VIN plate, I would think the only value is to be used as a novelty key chain trinket or xmas ornament. Maybe $20 or so.
As for replacement VIN plates for restoration, that was one of the first thing bought from Coupe King.
http://www.coupeking.com/product/vin-plates/
They stamped it with my VIN. So if I choose to use it on my "fully restored" car (we'll see how long that takes), it will compliment the otherwise pristine engine bay. Of course, I will have the original VIN plate (in a nice little cloth bag) along with the chassis stamp and steering column plate that all match and prove the car's origin.

That's my logic.;)

It is to commit VIN fraud. A common practice in the UK. It is a CSI VIN so someone could
take the plate and “upgrade” a CS, bring a salvage titled shell back to life, or conceal a stolen vehicle. I’m guessing that based on the “ask me any questions”, the seller also has the firewall VIN.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/money/2003/jan/05/motoring.scamsandfraud

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is to commit VIN fraud
Exactly - which is why I see this as nothing more than an extremely overpriced xmas ornament or key chain dangly thingy (which can later be posted in the "show us your... keys" thread). :)

Oh - maybe that's what I can do with my original VIN tag after that concourse engine bay resto I plan on doing... :p