Car cover in and outdoor use

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am contemplating the purchase of a car cover.
If I were to park myncoupe indoors all the time, I would opt for the California Car Cover Dustop. During the summer months, I like to take my coupe up to the cottage where there is no garage. I don't take the coupe if rain is predicted but there are birds and the morning dew.
I have an old BavAuto car cover I could use but am not wild about the lining.
I could put that car cover over the Dustop but that seems like extra work and a problem in the making.

Has anyone used the Stormweave? Looks like it would do the job for mostly indoor and some outdoor use.

Thanks in advance

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
keep us posted on what you find out please Stan.

i need to buy an indoor cover ... and probably should have one that would work outdoors in an emergency. since there are a lot of new owners here ... anybody want to try a group buy ... let me know

scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
How about a well suspended Tarp if you have the space? Car will stay dry.

Fstede1

Reaction score
Go Groits garage sit. Good selection of covers at reasonable prices. I have a a variety of 6 covers from them.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Go Groits garage sit. Good selection of covers at reasonable prices. I have a a variety of 6 covers from them.

Which one best fits the description of my requirements?

Looking at the California Car Cover site, the Stormweave looks like the best bet so far.
It appears to be the Dustop with a more water repellent exterior. And a good (?) price.
Does anyone have experience with this product?

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Hey Stan,

I use the Dustop for my winter storage/indoor use and a very lightweight water-resistant cover from Griot's Garage for road use.

Whatever you choose, be aware that ALL car covers must be applied and removed carefully to avoid fine scratches. As such, no car cover actually touches my paint finish. I use flannel flat sheets as my base cover, and then put the car cover over it.

When on the road with no garage, I also carry waterproof tarps to put between the flannel and the light weight cover. I learned the hard way that water resistant isn't water proof in a hard downpour, and the tarps keep the car absolutely dry. Hard water spots require detailing and buffing to remove....and that sucks!!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Stan,

let's ask for what the minimum number of units are and what the price might be for the dustop. my guess is that they would make them in any of the material in a group buy ... the material price might change, but the labor would be the same.

i am in for a dustop. the dust + pollen that migrates into my garage is horrible on a black car. who else is sitting on the sidelines waiting for specifics and needs protection for their car?

thanks
scott

Adam

Reaction score
Stan,

Don't judge a cover by its book (or its appearance on the web, at any rate)! Before you purchase, call griot's garage & they will happily send you fabric swatches of each of the different car cover types.

-Adam

PS: FWIW, I have a noah car cover from griot's. I am very happy with its construction, though it's a bit cumbersome to deploy if your application is indoor-only.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
hey Stan,

let's ask for what the minimum number of units are and what the price might be for the dustop. my guess is that they would make them in any of the material in a group buy ... the material price might change, but the labor would be the same.

i am in for a dustop. the dust + pollen that migrates into my garage is horrible on a black car. who else is sitting on the sidelines waiting for specifics and needs protection for their car?

thanks
scott

Stan,

Don't judge a cover by its book (or its appearance on the web, at any rate)! Before you purchase, call griot's garage & they will happily send you fabric swatches of each of the different car cover types.

-Adam

PS: FWIW, I have a noah car cover from griot's. I am very happy with its construction, though it's a bit cumbersome to deploy if your application is indoor-only.

I need to check. Griot uses some of the same names as CA Car Cover. They too have a Noah

execmalibu

Reaction score
Thin (.3 Mil) Painters Plastic works great for indoors...

I stopped using car covers about 25 years ago because when I put a used cloth cover on a clean car the car was instantly dusty... I realized that after a while even indoors the cloth covers got very dusty and the dust filters through onto the paint. Scott you will see what I mean on your black car after a few months (or less). Just putting it on or removing the cover causes the dust to fly...

About 10 years ago I went to look at a BMW Z8 and the guy had a collection of exotic cars all covered in the very thin painters plastic... He explained that he had the same issue with dusty car covers. He noticed at car shows when left overnight some guys were using the plastic and that their cars always looked great in the morning. Plus at just $3 with the painters plastic he could use the plastic a few times and just throw it away. You also can see the car which is nice...

The very light .3-.4 mil 400x12 foot roll/box is $35 and enough to do 20 cars...

The car should be clean and absolutely dry and cooled off (so the plastic does not balloon up) and the plastic works great... When you pull the plastic off the car is exactly like it was when you covered it... I usually put a piece of colored duct tape (with an arrow in the front) to tell me which was front and the top (dusty side). To keep it tight just ball up the corners and stuff the ball under the bumper... I can usually get 2-4 uses before it is trashed and another one cut from the roll.

If you drive the car often and you are solo the plastic takes a minute or so extra time. Obviously this is only for indoors.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Jeff,

that is an interesting idea ... of course i have to find a place to store the roll of plastic. limited space in my garage. i guess the removal of both types becomes important to keep the dust on top of the cover from falling onto the car. of course, its also a lot more humid here than it is in California ... plastic would trap humidity - not sure i like that idea.

the black car gets dusty quick - you should see it during oak and pine pollen seasons ... it can look like a taiga car in a hurry. what i want to do is to mitigate the amount of dust that gets on the car.

cheers
scott

execmalibu

Reaction score
Scott the box is small 6x6x24...

Scott,

The plastic comes in a pretty small box 6x6x24...

As far as humidity I am on the ocean and so far it has not been an issue but you are correct it could be... My body man uses a little bit wider plastic that is actually for body shops to protect cars from dust and overspray. That plastic is 16 feet wide and might make a nice sealed cocoon if you let it touch the ground...

As far as when finally very dusty if not driven for a long time. I carefully fold up the plastic onto the roof first in the front then the rear then the sides and it usually works very well and the car stays clean. Where there are holes for the antenna etc there is a little dust which I use a Calif Duster. Once there is a lot of dust time to trash and rollout another piece...

Overall since starting to use the plastic about 8 years ago I have to actually wash each car about 1/4 as often as before.

Less water/washing less rust correct?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Group Pricing

For those interested.

If 5 Dustop car covers are ordered they will sell for $195.99
If 10 Dustop car covers are ordered they will sell for $172.79

Stan

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Griots

Griots buys them from California Car cover, private labels and sells for about the same price since buying in quantity allows them a discount.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
6 in need 4 more

I want to keep this open for another week then send the order in.
Need four more E9 covers to get 20% discount.

classicman

Reaction score
Have you guys considered the Auto-Storm cover from J. F. Stanley in Germany? There is an agent in the USA. I was the SA agent for about three years and the covers sold well. I never had any come-backs and lots of repeat business.

www.autopyjama.com