Car in Glendale

tmason

Reaction score
Nice it come's with a 1.5" receiver on the bumper.You never when you need a Uhaul trailer:)

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
not if it were a good car

As long as it was repaired properly (easier to do on vintage than modern cars), who gives a rats behind? I would happily buy a salvaged car that needed an entire front clip from Mario and never think twice about it because I'd have proof that it was repaired to be better than new.

Think about it this way, most vintage race cars have been smashed up at some point, and it's unlikely that all the frame or body is original. Doesn't hurt their value a bit. Yes, e9's are not quite at the level of GT40's and TDF's, but unless you have a 100% original and true survivor (ala Shawn's car), I don't think it matters much. The key is documented repairs showing it was fixed right.

dealhunter0

Reaction score
A friend has an Alfa TZ2. He bought for 20k or something after the previous owner totaled it on the track. It's gorgeous now, and it was the best deal I've ever personally heard of for a car.

jmackro

Reaction score
OK so this spawns the question, given the likelihood that even a small accident could "total" an E9. Would a salvage title prevent you from buying a coupe?

My coupe has a salvage title. When I bought it in 1989, coupes were just a step up from beaters - a fender bender back then would result in the insurance company declaring a "total".

Having said that, I bought my coupe as a "keeper" - since I know the condition of the body (*), I'm not concerned with what's printed on the title. But if my plan had been to resell it, the salvage designation would have been a minus.

*) I have had it down to bare metal, and could not find evidence of significant accident damage. Rust and minor accidents, sure, but nothing structural.

Last edited:

Nash

Reaction score
Salvage title

Unless I was actually buying a perfect supposedly original car, a salvage title would not make that much difference to me, unless there was major structural damage, which I hope I would notice, I would judge the actual car.

Now if they applied a title of "rusted out" on a car, I might take a lot more notice:)

Rust and overall condition now matters much more (to me anyway) than if it has had an small accident of some kind. As most on this forum know, in the US a very minor accident in the past could have resulted in a Salvage title.

Just my opinion

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to insure a car to its full value with a salvaged title? Many insurance companies will only agree to 50% of actual value when a car has a salvage title. This would be of most concern to me.

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anybody inspected this car personally? If so, what did you find of interest, as in RUST? Sunroof usually = guaranteed rusty rockers, no rocker pics in the auction. How difficult is it to get a car off the salvage title in CA, anybody tried or done it? I think in CO its just a matter of an inspection to get a clear title. Just needs everything to be working and nothing dangerous in the drivetrain or chassis. The non original engine could make that a problem, the beaurocrats actually have books with American engine serial numbers indicating year, displacement, etc. Turns out the seller gave me misinformation (SURPRISE!) about its displacement.

Anyway, if anyone has actually placed hands on the thing I would appreciate any info.

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am only a few minutes away from Glendale and if someone is serious about the purchase and wants me to go inspect and take photos of the car I will be glad to do so.