Car Names

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
I was asked todasy why I named my 635 Euro Rosanante..

For those of you who also wonder about this....here is my reply to Pedro.
-----------
Yes, the name is Rocinante, which in English often gets translated to Rosanante. Clearly a different meaning, but rather pretty.

In the story, Rocinante is the name given to Don Quixote's horse, a tired old nag (ante rocin)...However, through Don Quixote's eyes she is a beautiful steed who will carry him off to dream the impossible dream. Much as Dulcinea, a local whore is seen by him for her grace and goodness. Don QUixote is fundamentally about seeing the potential, and overlooking the flaws. A lesson as relevant today as in the 1600's.

My Euro was a tired old nag when I got her. I have managed over the years to restore her to her former glory, but through it all she always had heart. So, because we could see past her flaws and dream of what she could be, my wife named her Rosanante. She is well on the way to achieving perfection, but, since it is easy to see past her flaws, we think she is perfect as she is.

S

corsachili

Reaction score
Ah some literary reference here on the E9 board. Despite the silliness, we've always named our vehicles in one fashion or another. The names of our toys are decidedly less high brow that those of Mr. Andrews, but they're somewhat inspired nonetheless. Chel's MRoaster is "Zephyr" from the great Red Hot Chili Peppers Song. My CSL is Ali because.........well.............duh.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
High brow my A$$..

Ali as in: "Allison, I know this world is killing you, oh, Allison. My aim is true..."

Or as in "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"??

Both seem oddly apt!

S

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention...

My other 635 is named Katerina.. Because she is fast and sexy, like Katerina Witt...one of my early fantasy babes...

S

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cherche la coupe

Without offending those that name their cars, I am much more intrigued by the process of associating gender to cars. French and Italians use female articles for designating "voiture and machina", Spanish use male gender for autos. Is your coupe a male or a female, that is the question.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Names and gender

The name BLUMAX--does that leave any question as to gender, origin of name and color?

History and aviation buffs will know of the BLUMAX and its once upon a time significance.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I need to actually drive the thing to come up with the name. Given its tempermental nature and complete lack of cooperation in its "restoration", I'd wager that I'll make it female. Perhaps Megaera, after the Erinyes of that name.

Sooner

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Alas, the Virgin per Murray, then found a screw that was not original, and then......one bad screw and you are no longer a virgin.....but the name remains

thanks Murray

Reaction score
In Portugal we use male articles for cars and trucks and female articles for station wagons and vans. Naming the cars is fairly uncommon here, I think.

racerxx

Reaction score
The Name Game

From the first day I owned him, we called my coupe Sharky. The fjord blue paint makes it look even more like a shark.

My other BMWs are: '91 318is - Felix
'04 M3 - BlueMoves
'02 325xi - Blanche
'73 cs coupe - Sharky

I'm always amazed at people who don't name their cars. All automobiles have a personality and attitude.

Take care all and enjoy the summer.

John Raho
Westport, Connecticut

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm always amazed at people who don't name their cars

But I am very prolific with names for the drivers whom I share the
road with...

Dave L

Reaction score
Naming cars

I have never named a car. Personally, I don't see the point. While I enjoy my cars, starting to name them would be taking it a bit beyond the level of attachment I want to have. When the day comes, and we all know that day, when you have to make THE tough decision. I dont want to have some associated personality cloud my judgement.
Yea, I'm just a cold hearted bastard!

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Definitely Female because they're tempramental but lovable.
The South African one is Gertrude as she looked like a tatty Dowager
who had fallen on hard times and the Irish 3.0 CS is earning her name of Judith after St Jude, the patron saint of Hopeless Cases

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Dax--still at it and appearing in good humor

appears your transplant from so arfrica to the emerald isle has not dimmed the wit--or harmed the brain connectors

FYI Dax--here in the colonies there are many employment opportunities for "Good Humor Men"--maybe join the horde of immigrants to the "land of plenty"--our far lefties will certainly welcome you as they are desparate for votes to gain more or to keep their political POWER intact--

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Thank you, Murray
when I read the comment about "Good Humour Men" and immigration to the US of A, I assumed it would be an employment opportunity driving an IceCream Truck.
Pity our cars are'nt actually human and able to breed, would love a baby CSL in my dotage.
Be well, my friend!

Mark B

Reaction score
Rosinante

And I always thought it was from the Rush Lyrics to Cygnus X-1

On my ship, the rocinante
Wheeling through the galaxies,
Headed for the heart of cygnus
Headlong into mystery

Very cool name. Right now my 2000cs is named Mystery, cause it's a mystery when it'll every get on the road.