Car pulls to the right when braking

pmansson

Reaction score
New Master cyl, hoses changed from R to L, pistons move as they should, new rear calipers, but still no improvement. Nothing major felt on the steering wheel. Just need to hold it firm to keep the car from going off the road.
front suspension is in very good shape, with all rubber parts fairly new.
what more can I check….?

I have recently experienced bushings that look good,but are soft/worn. Thus allowing the car to pull to that side as the wheel shifts back toward the cabin under breaking. Both bushings were new and replaced at the same time. We had to have somebody stand on the side of the road and watch the wheel as I applied heavy brake to see this.

Last edited:
The bushings theory is interesting. Would this happen if the deceleration occurs because you transition from cruising on a flat road to a hill in neutral?

Ok. Over a distance of a mile, drive, apply brakes, repeat. By a mile run, if you have stuck caliper or wheel bearing problem, you'll find that that wheel will be hoter to the touch. Touch the center of the wheel from the outside part...be careful as it could be scorching hot!

As far as calipers go, could be binding on the right or not working properly on the left. Binding is easier to figure out.

First gear, rev high and decelerate without toughing the brakes and see if the weight transfer affects the direction. Suspension vs brakes.

How about pads?

As far as calipers go, could be binding on the right or not working properly on the left. Binding is easier to figure out.

First gear, rev high and decelerate without toughing the brakes and see if the weight transfer affects the direction. Suspension vs brakes.

How about pads?
I am sure there is useful data in braking hard while driving backwards. If a right wheel brake is binding it will pull again to the right. If it it weight transfer into front suspension it will not pull at all I think as there is no transfer to the front when going backwards.

Back