Car ran perfectly, two weeks later it won't start.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think you just found your resistor wire!

Thank you Chris. Now just to make sure, could there be any other clear wires going to the coil? Or is this it the only possibility? I wish I knew where this part of the loom goes to so I can measure the resistance between the two ends.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I had the mech pump and stock zeniths I never had any cranking problems after a long sit so it can be done. Before going through the ordeal of an electric fuel pump install, which is more work than it sounds, why not just put a check valve in and see if that solves the problem? Did you confirm all fuel lines are tight?

... the empty fuel line!

After two weeks of chasing the wrong culprit, it turns out, as many suggested, that the mechanical fuel pump could not suck enough gas through the line to get the engine going. I poured a little gas in the carbs and after a couple of tries it started right up! It runs pretty horrible because I had reinstalled the points and they are not setup properly at all of course. But I will reinstall the Pertronix tomorrow which should clean things up nicely.

OK. My next task is to search the forum about the best recommendations for converting to an electric pump. I now I have seen a few threads on the subject before.

Thank you for all the great comments.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ask someone to send you a 1974 wiring diagram or search the forum, perhaps that will show you the other end.

Thank you Chris. Now just to make sure, could there be any other clear wires going to the coil? Or is this it the only possibility? I wish I knew where this part of the loom goes to so I can measure the resistance between the two ends.

61porsche

Reaction score
There is

only one clear resistance wire. It looks similar, but is of a different alloy that creates the resistance.

Simply measure the voltage and compare to the battery voltage.

it connects to the green wire to the ignition switch at a junction shown in the repair manual.

One more thing on the fuel pump drain back- The single most likely culprit is a loose carb fuel inlet valve that needs tightened. Find a fuel gauge that reads 0-5 lbs ( pool filter at your local ace in a pinch. I used a mighty- vac) . Temp it in and fire it up.

The pump should put out 2.5 lbs. It wears internal at it's fulcrum point.

It should hold residual pressure ( for a while) after shut off. If not then pinch off one carb fuel line to see if the other carb is the leaking culprit. Then do the other. The factory had a little set-up with valves for this.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@chris. Just checked the blue book. It does show a SW-RT line as well as a TR one going to the coil on page 61-0/49. That's exactly it. And the TR one says 0.9 ohms / meter. I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 meters so that would be 1.8 ohms. DOH ! Should have looked at that first. Now it becomes clear. Or TR as the manual says.... ;-)