Car starts then immediately dies!!! Can’t figure why?

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I drove my 73csa Friday for nearly 40 Miles. It ran just fine although the weather was in 90’s. Engine temp was normal . Drove it home and parked it in the garage! Tried staring it tonight and it starts and dies immediately after I let go of the ingnition key!

Could it be coil is going bad?
Or a relay?

Any advice Is appreciated !

Thank you
Tony P.

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is your red/black wire connected to your starter solenoid on one end and the coil on the other?

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ok, I got the car started but the problem is not fixed yet completely but I am on the right track I think .
. I also noticed the battery is only 68 % charged and does not hold charge . I think the battery is going bad and I may have a corroded/ lose connection. I suspected it had to to do with ground somewhere or a bad connection. With exception of the hazard light nothing connected to “on position” of the ignition switch would come on ! I turned the ignition switch on and turned the signal on and looked for bad connection into the engine compartment. All seemed good ! No corrosion or bad connection found yet!
Then I started hitting things and shaking the car. And lastly I open and slammed the door hard “”OUCH” . Signal light started working . And car started !!!!

Last edited:

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I will check the battery with my tester and probalay replace it. And then chceck the connection s on a lift where I can see things better .