Carbon Cannister

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Clearing out the trunk, I have removed the grey canister that sits behind the wheel well and in front of the gasoline filler neck. This has a tube entering from the filler neck and another leaving the top of the canister. It feels VERY LIGHT as though empty. Is this correct?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, it merely catches vapors where they can condense. They are pulled forward to the charcoal canister under the battery by vacuum from the air cleaner.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
well today i had an annoying gas smell so I took said expansion tank out to inspect it and saw that the connector that goes to the front of the car had a crack in it which was allowing fumes to escape into the trunk and then be sucked into the cabin so I JB Welded it then capped all the lines and routed the filler vent tube out of the car behind the spare tire. I disconnected the cannister a long time go because the tube to it had many holes in it and it had rusted away anyhow. No more gas smell.

mikes

Reaction score
vapor system

Stan,

The vapor tank that you refer to will be empty, so what you found is "correct." There is a hose that runs from the vapor tank along the passenger side of the interior, through the dash, across the firewall alongside the brake lines, and forward to the carbon cannister under the battery that Chris references. I know that the vapor system is frequently plugged off but my local e9 expert recommends keeping it in place and maintained to make sure that gas vapors don't enter the cabin.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The tubing from the filler neck to the canister is kinked. Can I replace it with anything or must it be a special tubing?

pamp

Reaction score
Charcoal Canister

Stan,
This one came up not long ago. Search the posts for "charcoal canister" Follow my posts to the end to see what I did. I replaced the hose to the vapour can with fuel hose spec. If it were me and I felt the need to retain the charcoal canister, I would run a new line outside of the cabin. Probably follow the fuel lines forward from the trunk.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pamp:

I vented mine directly from the filler neck to the outside (there is a perfect sized hole between the gas tank edge and the floor of the trunk near the lights), skipping the expansion tank, is there any need/advantage to keeping this tank in place? Unless it serves a specific purpose, it seems like it would just be another source of potential leak.

Stan,
This one came up not long ago. Search the posts for "charcoal canister" Follow my posts to the end to see what I did. I replaced the hose to the vapour can with fuel hose spec. If it were me and I felt the need to retain the charcoal canister, I would run a new line outside of the cabin. Probably follow the fuel lines forward from the trunk.