Carey Iida's CSL

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
For half a million I have heard. Canepa has yet to answer my inquiry, but someone told me it was $500,000. Hard to believe.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
As the old adage goes: "If you've to ask then you can't afford it" So how much is this Alpina CSL?

More than likely, this fabulous ultra rare Alpina coupe will be returning to Europe considering the astronomical prices the CSLs, in particular the Alpina coupes are fetching there currently.

I've seen this car many of times in car shows during the 1990's and the meticulous details given to this coupe are simply amazing. Pictures simply cannot convey the stunning restoration achievements of this Alpina CSL.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

pmansson

Reaction score
They haven´t replied to my enquiry either.
Who is Carey Iida? A private enthusiast or a car restorer business or ??
Personally, I would have skipped the headlight washer equipment.....
Beautiful nevertheless.

schnell540

Reaction score
pmansson said:
Who is Carey Iida?

He's "just a guy" who happened upon an ALPINA CSL and did a many, many year nuts and bolt restoration to an unbelievable quality. He is us. Only a whole lot better at it.

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Having seen the car a few of times, I'd agree that it is absolutely competitive at the highest levels. I would hope it stays in California for the most selfish of reasons: It' simply stunning in terms of attention to detail. I'm not expert, but there are few cars that I have had the pleasure of seeing in person that been more impressive to me.

I really wonder if the car can/will sell for the price range noted in earlier posts. Has anyone seen these wheels on any other car?

mpgandco

Reaction score
There is a document from Mobile Tradition and I have seen. It that states this CSL was built on a certain date and was delivered to Alpina the same day.
Will they get the $500,000 they are asking?Maybe with the exchange rate the way it is right now.I too hope it stays in California.I was just at Canepas last week and it looks stunning sitting in the center of the showroom floor

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
If its still in the US the exchange rate moves of late will not help them realise the price - they will hinder it.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
DustyM said:
glenn in encinitas said:
Has anyone seen these wheels on any other car?

I was also wondering what wheels they were

Those are Alpinas. If I remember correctly, magnesium. Another thread some weeks back had some photos of the car taken from a ten-year old article. I'll try to locate it from my vast library (aka basement) and get a copy online.

DJSimca

Reaction score
This car does indeed look to be in outstanding condition .. although I personally do not believe that it is worth the quoted sum of money :?

then again... there are people in the world for whom money is no object :p

One thing that does surprise me - a lot - is the fact that the car carries an incorrect VIN plate :shock: :shock: :?:
Now I have to admit that I am no expert on concours competitions .. in fact I have no idea how they are conducted and what the judges are looking for .. but that this car has won numerous competitions with a non-CSL VIN plate does surprise me a lot :!:

coupeking

Reaction score
CSL VIN Plate

I have seen some CSL VIN plates made up by a chap in Europe, but none of the CSL's I have owned--5 over the years--have ever had a specific 'CSL' VIN plate. Standard CS items on all of them, though the weight ratings were lower.
Anybody else have any input here?
Peter
coupeking

2275xxx

Reaction score
That's correct. There has never been a plate with "CSL" on it.

The difference is the 820/870Kg indication, instead of 900/900Kg,
and the total weight of 1650kg, instead of 1750kg.

CSL 1973

Reaction score
I think what DJ Simca meant was the fact that the CSL on the picture has a "home made" VIN plate in the sense that the VIN number has been stamped-in after the car has left the factory. It looks like a blank non-original VIN plate (after market?) was used.

Cheers