Carl N. Springs

pamp

Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of Carl N. lowering springs...they were at sale price and although I was not quite ready for this stage I jumped at the price as to have a set staged. Could anyone give me feedback as to any additional parts I may need to make these work. I can see that my spring pads for the front for sure are toast. Rears look OK. Strut mounts (Bearings) look OK as viewed from the top. Seems to me that once the front is lowered this will effect camber...Will I need to get camber plates and will these work with the strut brace? Offset mounts for the front? What the hell are these? Please help me...

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I just received a set from him as well. I also ordered the fixed camber plates that he sells. These are supposed to adjust the camber to match the offset the lowered springs create. They are a 1/4" thick disk with three threaded studs welded to each side. You remove the three bolts on your strut bearing and insert the plate between the top of the strut bearing and the inner fender. The studs facing up go through the fender holes, and the studs facing down go through the bearing holes (after the bolts are hammered out). I have not installed yet, or tested.

Check your strut bearings. They should turn smoothly. If not, you may want to consider replacing them.

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have Carl's set up installed on my coupe. I think its a great way to go. I have the springs, plate, new bearings and strut. Even with camber plate, there is plenty of room to install a strut bar. enjoy the ride

heroszeros

Reaction score
hey i just bought a set and am in the midst of installing also.. i would recommend getting the camber plates from carl, unless you want to run the extra camber. I have a set of staggered wheels, and the rears are fine, but you will probably have to roll the fenders for the front if you're running wide wheels. i thought this was going to be a weekend job.. but the car has other plans i guess!

the rear setup is easy with a basic socket set and some spring clamps.. i found that wedging a bar into the back hole of the shock and pressing down helps get the shock onto the lower angled mount (after an hour or two of trying everything else!)

the fronts are a little harder i'm finding. the very upper strut bolt on my car is incredibly tight. when i go to loosen it it just turns the whole strut rod/spring. i've sprayed some wd-40 on it and hope it will loosen up..does anybody have any hints on how to get it off?

JhwShark

Reaction score
the fronts are a little harder I'm finding. the very upper strut bolt on my car is incredibly tight. when i go to loosen it it just turns the whole strut rod/spring. I've sprayed some wd-40 on it and hope it will loosen up..does anybody have any hints on how to get it off?

Try PB Blaster (catalyst), let soak a day or so give some vibration reapply let soak...should work better than wd40.
Jon

pamp

Reaction score
The springs

Thanks to all...we are on a mission...once the ignition switch issue is ironed out! Carl seems to be my best friend these days...I think I will PP a million for his parts inventory, save some bucks...