carpet template

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread that is easier to find through the search and I have the first piece of carpet documented, please feel free to add to this as I will as I get more copied to the template.

I think the first piece to go in is the rear seat support section.

Attachments

• carpet template2.jpg
    carpet template2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 234
  • carpet template1.jpg
    carpet template1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 177
I like your idea Peter. I believe it would serve interest for many owners to have access to a working pattern.

I also think there should be a leader who produces reasonable priced quality examples. I know there have been several attempts before trying to get the right material.

Personally, any good quality German style (Porsche/Mercedes materials) would make sense to me purchased in bulk with the savings passed on to us.

-Mo

I would happily pay for a template of carpets. I plan to have some made, at the appropriate time. I was wondering whether such a template existed

I should have the remainder of the templates done today and I will post all the measurements. I am also on the hunt for a state-side mill that will make carpet, if I can find one we should be able to get 100% original carpet made. Minimum runs are typically 100 yards- enough to do about 20 cars. I mentioned in another post that I am going to try to make a couple of sets with whatever I can find that is close to original, so far I have found some good stuff but it's not near perfect. If I see that the templates work well and the carpet fits well I'll probably bring a set to Monterey this coming summer and see what the market is, then maybe a specialty mill will be the call.

But anyone who wants to go it alone will have the exact measurements posted here, and I will be as detailed as possible.

moved to my other post

I wanted to keep everything together- sorry, but I will annotate the carpet notes in the title box so it can be found. It's taking allot longer to make the templates than I thought and I'll make the templates available once I finish up. Thanks for your patience. I think all the surviving original craftsmen and women that built these cars are probably living on the same psych ward somewhere in Germany; we should find out where so we'll all have a retirement home when the time comes :)

Carpet Color & Layout?

I'm interested in the carpet reproduction as well as the only carpet remaining in my car are small strips along the side. We should be able to get enough interest to get an order for 20 cars worth of carpet, but 20 of what color?
That's going to be harder. Mine choice would be blue. What are the other colors? Black? Grey? Red? Tan?

What format are your templates? I can make them into CAD files and they could be cut out on a water jet pretty quickly, accurately and at moderate cost.

Ian

'70 Chamonix over blue 2800cs with matching numbers

I have been contemplating making a mold of the front heel pad as my front driver mat was missing.

If anyone has an original one and can get it to me, I can start working on making a mold.

Perhaps making a mold of the tunnel pad (smaller and less complicated would be easier to start with...??

And did all the various color carpets have the same color heel/tunnel pads?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 162
Pads are the hard part

The molded pads seem to be most difficult. They are not sewn on but "melted in"... so it seems

Back