Caught by weather

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I went for a walk and spied this
photo1_zpsbbce3410.jpg
parked in our lovely winter wonderland - this is a little early for snow (3 days = 45cm but at least it isn't July like the last time it happened. I walked around to the rear to see the rear plate to see if someone local was either that dumb or that unlucky. A well tanned gentleman walked up and I asked....."yours?" to which he answered in a distinctly Ausie accent "yes and are you local?"

Turns out he and 30 other 190 SL and Gullwing owners are on a month long tour of the west started out in LA. He shipped his 1957 300SL over and he and the missus and 30 unhappy participants were staying in Banff. Weather had been great until this intense local system rolled in and raised the anxiety level from driving $1.2million worth of 300SL Roadster in wet sloppy snow.

He then asked if I knew where Bow Kor Welding was as he was in need of a machine shop to which I replied "for a ride in this car I would be happy to show you the way". One of the cast metal lugs that the hubcaps snap onto had come loose and he need to press out the pin and find a way to reattach it. Long story short that didn't work and he couldn't wait for the other shops I know of and he dropped me off back downtown.

He has my number and I have enough shop/tools to come up with something to tide him over.

So, have you ever been caught by the weather? I know I have - the day I first brought the car into town but at least it was November so I was just dumb.

photo2_zpsb039f6d0.jpg

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's my friend arriving in Banf for the Gullwing Club convention. Note the ice on the headlights and windshield. He shipped his car to CA then caravan'd with other 300SL owners to Banf. One full day of snow and ice on the final day. You gotta admire these owners who drive long distances in these valuable cars.

Ronnie.jpg

En route:
Ice.jpg

Last edited:

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
That Ivory colored one is just beautiful. Even better in the snow.

Never been caught in the snow here in FL, and I am pretty good at dodging our summer t-storms here (basically an afternoon phenomenon).

The GTV is for rain, as are the modern cars.

Scott

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That Alberta Spirit reminds me of the helpful folks from Newfoundland. Banff in October in those cars sounds like a gamble.