Center Bearing dust caps

Syncro

Reaction score
When installing a new front (larger) dust cap, it has to be pressed onto the shoulder of the splined shaft. Then when I install the rubber support, there is big friction between the outer flange of the cap and the rubber-lined inner barrel of the support. Part number for the large cap is 26 11 3 748 138, the small cap is 26 12 1 100 992. The CD manual shows the large cap left in place when replacing the support bearing, but my car didn't have a large cap. (Possibly left out from a previous replacement because of the interference?)

Did I not press it far enough onto the shoulder? When dry fitting the cap into the support bearing on the bench, there is still some friction, but it seems that is where the slip fit needs to be since the cap fits tightly on the shoulder. Do I lube it with moly and go? 11/74 3.0cs 4310333 4-speed 36k miles.

Syncro

Reaction score
I found the problem. I had tried to press the whole assembly instead of each component at a time. The large dust cap did not seat far enough because the rubber support was pushing it and was still in contact.

If you look at the picture in the manual, it shows the large cap bedded at the base of the shoulder on the splined shaft, but that leaves a large gap. I pressed the cap on only far enough so it would lessen the gap with the rubber support. Question is, will it stay there and not walk on the shoulder?