Center console panel questions.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm working on my center console and trying to figure out what these two holes would have been for? There was a type of finish washer embedded in the foam on the one hole. This is a 72 CSL.

AAlso, there are several black Posi-drive screws holding the front bracket on as well as larger ones in the large rear piece. Are Posi-drive screws correct? I'm sure they are PD as my Jag has them used for all the trim.
20201107_162537.jpg
20201107_164034.jpg
20201107_164142.jpg

Attachments

• 20201107_163919.jpg
    20201107_163919.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 120

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think the screws are special? Just a good black sheet metal type screw. The metal trim screws and washers are available here.
They are called Escutcheon Trim Washers.

Thanks, Gary.

I think evidence suggest the factory screws are pozidriv as a few folks have confirmed they found some of them as well. They aren't common, so if they've turned up across several cars that's pretty good evidence. They work great in high torque situations....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doesn’t make much sense to me to use a high torque screw on a wood console panel, and the parts book only shows recessed head oval sheet metal screws. On my A/C coupe I have no horizontal mounting bar either, probably not needed as the A/C panel provides stiffness.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Agree, but they are there so who am I to argue. It's not a huge deal either way but it is intriguing.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Let's see. 3 were on the large back wood support piece.The small wood blocks that the shift console top screws into had all 4 and the smaller front metal bracket had 3 (one was random) . I can imagine the factory using them into wood that's lacking pre-existing holes so they reduce the probability of camming out and damaging the heads or marring the finish on the black screw heads but that's just supposition

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Im not entirely sure about the head shape (pozidriv) as these are not common in an e9. 98% of cross head screws that I found on my car are Phillips. Pozidriv was not widely used in the seventies, as it was only introduced in '62 in the UK's aerospace industry, and german engineers we more into using DIN standards; Deutsche Industrie Norm. Best guess on any e9 screw is that they used the more common Phillip's type.