Center link and outer tie rods kit from WN

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey folks, excited to get my full kit from WalloftheNesh just now - center link and outer tie rods. I'm not sure if my current hardware is original or just really beat up and not looking great. Is this something myself with mediocre (at best) mechanical and basic tools can accomplish in the garage or is the best left to a professional with a lift and proper tools?

Question 2, do you notice a difference in steering feel and response with the new pieces installed versus old OEM BMW?

Thanks, all
IMG_0872.JPG

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
We all start with mediocre skills and go on a learning curve. The slope of the curve does depend on common sense which varies. Basic premise is to have the right tools and good access. Also the aid of good friends is important. If you don't have a joint puller or pickle fork, you will need to buy or borrow one. If I lost you, farm it out.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hey Wayne - Installation is not very complex; its all mechanical so nuts and bolts. The procedure is set forth in Chapter 10 of the autobooks manual: https://e9coupe.com/tech/autobooks/autobooks_manual.pdf. But you do need a way to safely raise and support your car. A set of jack stands are imperative if you are going to do this on your garage floor.

You need a ball joint puller, and it needs to be properly sized. No matter how difficult this gets, I won't use the fork type that you hit with a hammer. If you are doing the whole thing I think you can avoid detaching the two out ends from the center link. Instead detach the outer links at each end, the idler arm and the pitman arm. Another thing not to miss is that you need to secure your steering wheel so that it doesn't flop around when you detach the pitman arm from the center link. There is a reference for outer tie rod length, which in theory should enable you to avoid an alignment after installation. I did not do the measurement but instead set each new outer tie rod to the length of the one I was replacing.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I’m either visiting my local mechanic or maybe visiting Chez Ohmes house with lift and tools, and lots of expensive wine!

tdgray

Reaction score
Don’t be discouraged from trying this yourself pretty easy mechanical wise.

But If you have a friend who has the tools… by all means go there and then do it yourself.

I don’t even have my lift in yet and i already have people lining up to use it!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you going to replace the idler arm "bushing" while in there? #32211100849 I found this to be the most difficult part of the linkage job as you need a press to get the old one out and new one in, or risk ruining a vise for this job. The ball joint separation is always exciting, cranking the splitter while waiting for them to blow apart is somewhat stressful. Keep the castle nut on the first couple threads so everything stays together when it lets go.

I think the best strategy is to drink wine and watch @Ohmess do this for you :cool:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
if you show up with some nice expensive wine to leave at Chez Ohmes, i would bet you would be invited back.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, Scott, the more I think about the option the more I like it, plus I'd get to see my old friends Chris and Tom Baruch who moved down south a few years ago. @ Chris, maybe I'll take some extra time off after Sharkfest and head to your place afterwards, or we can consider something mid summer at Chez Ohmes?

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wayne--The answer to question #2 is all should feel tighter and you will drive with confidence knowing your front end won't fail at highway speeds.
Please do not save a few $$ with an" In theory" alignment. Find a competent shop that knows how to perform a correct alignment and keep the data sheet in your maintenance files.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice idea. If we piggyback off Sharkfest, we could invite folks heading south to go home, and perhaps the Atlanta folks who are not far away.

PM incoming.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I received my steering linkage from WN yesterday. Hoping they hold up. Noticed the idler arm bushing is made by Boge and looks a little crude. More of a Nylon than rubber look to it. Also, no provision for cotter pins on the tie rods, only Nylon locknuts.

Last edited:

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks guys and let's see how things play out post Sharkfest for a visit, Chris. My work will have a lot to say in that decision as we get closer to prime time.