Centre Console Correct Assembly

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had my centre console out today, part of fitting new carpets etc. It practically fell out from prior poor assembley. Mine is less AC and RHD.

Can anyone tell me the correct assembly procedure and let me know if mine is orginal, it seems to have tiny screws everywhere, many through the console side walls and some parts look like old furnture chipboard!
Is the process via the gearlever orifice, or to take the radio out and then the console floor with the rubber pieces in it? Neither seem too sensible.

The image with the radio shows some brackets probably once screwed to the inside of the console, could it be that these are fixed first, then it is installed complete, then the console floor then radio?

Any ideas what is the best way to hide the holes in the sides of the console where my radio mount screws in?

One image shows the window switches with a hole that someone drilled into the alloy strip, any suggestion how to hide that or what to put there? On the back of the console two of the 4 clips that hold the alloy strips on are gone and the wood poor in places.

Thanks
C

Attachments

• P2211209C.jpg
    P2211209C.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 221
  • P2211210C.jpg
    P2211210C.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 197
  • P2211211C.jpg
    P2211211C.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 212
  • P2211208C.jpg
    P2211208C.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 210

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those small wood blocks should be attached to console side permanently, shift platform attaches to wood blocks with wood screws, I see you have the two brackets.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is this part of the console?

Can you tell me is this piece of wood part of the console, or perhaps it replaces a missing part or is an extra? The ash tray is just for scale.
Mine console side panels were once screwed into it. It is made of chip particle) board so I doubt it is original.
Thanks
C

Attachments

• P2221218d.jpg
    P2221218d.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 180

pmansson

Reaction score
Important wooden part

This goes vertically, at the forward end of the 2 side consoles.
Best is to mount the 2 metal brackets first. Then put the 2 sides, with the wooden panel attached (and holding them together), so that the upper ends go where they should against the dash board. Mark the holes for the screws attaching the metal brackets to the side panels. Take it all out and attach the metal brackets properly. This could be done with them attached to the tunnel, but easier on a workbench. Lastly, mount the gear lever console by small screws to the 2 wooden brackets on the inner sides of the large panels.

Good luck !!
Peder

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
My console has a small metal bracket, in the shape of an elongated U, screwed to the floor underneath the radio. The vertical side consoles screw into this bracket. I suspect that piece of wood was a replacement for a missing metal bracket.

If I have the placement of this correct, be advised that the manner in which the top of the vertical side consoles fit into the dash is influenced by this piece. I had a gap of about 5 mm at this junction, and was able to close it up with a washer underneath the metal bracket, between the bracket and the floor.

Simufly

Reaction score
Centre console.

I will send you some more pics on the centre console.
Did you get the others of the kick panels BTW?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Starting to make sense

Thsi is starting to make sense, so thanks to all.

Simulfy, I just found the photos in my junk mail, thank you

Charles