Centre Track Rod

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
As the E12 5's derived from the E9's (In Part anyway)Anyone have any idea of any similarity betweeen the Centre Track Rods?
Yes, I know W& N have them, but as the E12's were also manufactured in South Africa,it might be easier sourcing a part there for my 2800 CS rather than Airfreighting it from Germany.
Any thoughts??

Malc

Reaction score
Dax,
You mean the long one between the steering arms?
Is it the joints that have failed or is the arm bent? - Might have a spare one on the parts car you could have - need to check condition and take the pictures you need!
Malc

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Hi Malc, thanks, but it's my Sarf Effrican CS.Noticed it getting very noisy the last day I drove it and although it has'nt failed, it could do,
New ones are E83 from W&N which is fine, but the Airfreight is almost the same, hence my ?? If E12's centre track rods(Yes, it is the centre one, not the two on the sides) are the same, It would be cheaper with less chance of theft at Johannesburg International Airport to buy it locally
Regards
Dax

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dax,
They are different part numbers, and are a slightly different shape. Not to say the e12 link would not work, because the configuration is very similar.

Of course the e3 link is the same as the e9. And from all indications, there are no differences between LHD an RHD versions, the HTK does not show RHD-specific fitment. I know from experience that both of the links are symmetrical.

Any chance you could snag a cheap used e12 link from a breaker for comparison purposes? I have both an e12 and an e9, but the e9 is in storage right now and not easily accessible for measurements.

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Thanks Tony,I know about the E3 side of it and have managed to track down some E12's languishing in a field here in Ireland.Hopefully, I 'll get some access to them for measurement purposes.
My problem is my South African 2800 CS and asking someone to go and strip a E12 on a saturday afternoon is asking a bit much from the friendship

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dax,
It occurs to me I can measure my e12 and post that, and perhaps someone could measure an e9 also, and we might be able to sort this without anyone turning a wrench.

AndyM

Reaction score
My coupe is up on the lift right now. I can measure it tonight -- just tell me where you want me to measure.

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
I would be eternally grateful Tony and AndyM.
Will imediately see if I can source two nubile Zulu maidens whose bride price is within reason
Thanks again
Dax

AndyM

Reaction score
Mine measures approx. 19 5/8" on center between the mounting studs for the outer tie rods. The idler arm and steering box mounts are 1 1/2" on center outside of that. Hope that helps.

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Timewarp

No, Dan, not quite a time warp.
At least until this last December(When I was last there) among Zulu traditionalists in South Africa, a bride price called Lobola is negotiated between the Families. This usually takes the form of Cattle or these days ,money to buy Cattle.
And the Lobola or Dowry paid by the Groom to be is directly proportional to A) the brides desirability
B) her fertility, which quite often is demonstrated by the bride already having a couple of children by ,sometimes, different fathers.
And yes, in this century, The Traditionalists are allowed to have as many wives as they can afford.
The Missionaries have done Sterling work,so they have two weddings:
One White Church wedding
and then the Traditional one with loincloths,spears and the swop of Cattle and bride

I have at times lent employees money and attended their weddings
So not quite a time warp but a different culture
Regards
Dax

velocewest

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey, I'm slow, but at least I'm not reliable! :wink:

I was headed out to measure when I had a thought (a rare occurence, 'tis true) -- "Say, I have blue books for both cars, I wonder if the center link length is listed?"

Sure enough --

e9 = 574mm +/- 1mm
e12 = 488mm +/- 1mm

So... Not a match. Sorry Dax. :(

Malc

Reaction score
No need to run Jo'berg airport, how about aberdeen?
My parts car should provide the parts you looking for and more (pedal box et al) if required
Let me know
Cheers
Malc