Centrifugal distributor needed

brbrian

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have lurked before but I am happy to say that I now have a good reason to participate. Two weeks ago I brought home a '72 Bavaria courtesy of Bring a Trailer. It has a 3.5 liter motor and 5-speed and I absolutely love it! I have already begun sorting various issues and one of the items on my list is a new distributor. Given the triple Weber side draft carbs, my mechanic has me on the hunt for a centrifugal advance distributor. Initially searching makes it look like a Bosch (0 231 184 008) is just about my only option. There may be Mallory that would work as well? I like the idea of the Bosch except for the price. Any suggestions?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don't know what a Bosch is going for but may be 50% or more of this.

123 Ignition. Breakerless distributor that you can program so you can make your ignition advance curves what you want or need.
You can also program the vacuum advance.

http://www.123ignitionusa.com/

bimmerboy73

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have lurked before but I am happy to say that I now have a good reason to participate. Two weeks ago I brought home a '72 Bavaria courtesy of Bring a Trailer. It has a 3.5 liter motor and 5-speed and I absolutely love it! I have already begun sorting various issues and one of the items on my list is a new distributor. Given the triple Weber side draft carbs, my mechanic has me on the hunt for a centrifugal advance distributor. Initially searching makes it look like a Bosch (0 231 184 008) is just about my only option. There may be Mallory that would work as well? I like the idea of the Bosch except for the price. Any suggestions?

I have a 3W setup as well and am running a Mallory... series 45 i believe. They aren't cheap. Paid between $400 and $500 a few years ago when they were hard to come by.

brbrian

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the leads on 123Ignition and Mallory. I have forwarded the 123Ignition info to my mechanic and will get his input. Based on their site, the options are intriguing and the price isn't all that bad. As for Mallory, I have exchanged emails from one of the reps and he initially said that they don't have a distributor that will work with my car. Bimmerboy73 - Do you happen to know the part number of your Series 45?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Brbrian - I bought Steve Bingham's triple weber setup, which included a mallory distributor - part number 4567201.

brbrian

Reaction score
Thanks ohmess! I ordered a Mallory using the part number you provided. I hope to have it in the car soon and will post an update afterward. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Brian

brbrian

Reaction score
Okay, the distributor has been in the car for the past couple of weeks and the performance has improved, albeit not quite as much as I had hoped. The power delivery is definitely smoother, especially at lower RPMs. The issue is that it still coughs and spits more than I'd like. The coughing and spitting equates to some hesitation and that is what I dislike the most. My mechanic has spoken with someone in the know at Weber and the plan is to install larger jets and and a different emulsifier tube. Who knew I needed an emulsifier tube? Or that I had one in the first place?

Anyway, all of this has me wondering if I should explore a move to fuel injection at some point. The triple side drafts are far more drivable than I would have thought, but fuel injection is tempting. I'll continue to post updates as we move along. Take care.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
PM me or post here your current Weber DCOE model and choke size, also your current and proposed jetting (idles, mains, accel jets, emulsion tubes). Also any mods to engine. Exactly what when and where are your coughing and spitting issues (idle? off idle? 3k rpm under light load? Highway cruise? etc.) Before you go chasing the jetting dragon perhaps I can help save you some time, pain, frustration, and money. BTDT and have the Weber t-shirt (really).

Okay, the distributor has been in the car for the past couple of weeks and the performance has improved, albeit not quite as much as I had hoped. The power delivery is definitely smoother, especially at lower RPMs. The issue is that it still coughs and spits more than I'd like. The coughing and spitting equates to some hesitation and that is what I dislike the most. My mechanic has spoken with someone in the know at Weber and the plan is to install larger jets and and a different emulsifier tube. Who knew I needed an emulsifier tube? Or that I had one in the first place?

Anyway, all of this has me wondering if I should explore a move to fuel injection at some point. The triple side drafts are far more drivable than I would have thought, but fuel injection is tempting. I'll continue to post updates as we move along. Take care.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Steve helped me a lot with the jetting and setup.

One thing I will mention is fuel supply.
I spent a lot of time and many jets only to find out my fuel pump was not delivering enough fuel.
I have Weber 45's a cam and pistons but still.
My motor would just basically quit at 5500 RPM until I realized why.

Here's a test.
Get a one gallon jug.
Disconnect the fuel line at the carbs and stick in the jug.
Check your watch and turn on key for 1 minute. So fuel pump runs.
Jug should be at least half full or more after the minute. .75 would be good.

Ok, so if you did not have enough fuel then you will need more volume but not pressure.
I got a Holly fuel pump ( I can get you the number if you need it) and then had to put a fuel pressure regulator on it.
Webers like 3-6 PSI.

HTH,
Gary

brbrian

Reaction score
Thanks Gary and Steve. I only wish I had answers to most of your questions about my current setup. My plan is to finally learn some of the basics with this car but I'm starting with more motivation and general handiness than expertise. Given this fact, I am fortunate to have an experienced mechanic that I trust.

The Webers are 40 DCOE. I don't think there is a choke. As for the coughing and spitting, it happens primarily between 2K and 3K rpm. The load level doesn't seem to influence the condition much, although I'd say it happens a little more with increased throttle.

I am strongly considering the pursuit of Motronic fuel injection. It would likely help on a number of levels. At full song, the Webers are terrific but they might not be the ideal fit on my car.

Thanks again for the offer of advice. I will post again when there is some progress.

Brian

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The chokes in this case are the inserts in the venturis - they are probably 32 or 34mm if you have DCOE40's.

If you want, ask your mechanic to unscrew the jets etc, note the numbers, and report back. It's easy to do.

This will help diagnose your popping. Assuming your timing and ignition are in order.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
As to things automotive, I have long had more motivation and general handiness than expertise. So, I tear into things, and ask for help when I get stuck. This board has been fantastic.

Anyway, you should update your profile so that your location shows up when you post. You may have folks nearby who can help.