Challenging project car in Los Angeles

rastablood

Reaction score
Got this from a friend and am going to have a go to get it daily driver ready.
Engine is strong handles well but clearly has some rust issues. Shock towers are all ok. The trim and glass is in ok condition and the interior, including floor panels has been "done".

Anyway I will send more pics once I have in on a lift.

Adam

20221116_160449.jpg
20221116_160503.jpg
20221116_160513.jpg
20221116_160524.jpg
20221116_160537.jpg
20221116_161001.jpg
20221116_161010.jpg
20221116_161018.jpg
20221116_161035.jpg
20221116_161109.jpg
20221116_161138.jpg
20221116_161144.jpg
20221116_161211.jpg

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Not to be a Debbie downer, but it’s a real mess. There is most probably major structural rust in the lower a pillars where the doors connect if the fenders are displaying this much rust activity. Just be aware of what it could take to make this a safe solid driver. The rear seats look to be e24 (but that’s not necessarily a terrible thing). Do you know if it’s a 2800 or 3.0? Recaros are cool and so is the steering wheel. Much luck on that project. The liberty that you can take on a very needy car can be fun to play with. Especially if you’re not concerned with anything but a fun driver that’s to your liking. It opens the door to any personal preferences without worrying about adulterating an otherwise original car. Have fun with it and share your progress please

rastablood

Reaction score
Not to be a Debbie downer, but it’s a real mess. There is most probably major structural rust in the lower a pillars where the doors connect if the fenders are displaying this much rust activity. Just be aware of what it could take to make this a safe solid driver. The rear seats look to be e24 (but that’s not necessarily a terrible thing). Do you know if it’s a 2800 or 3.0? Recaros are cool and so is the steering wheel. Much luck on that project. The liberty that you can take on a very needy car can be fun to play with. Especially if you’re not concerned with anything but a fun driver that’s to your liking. It opens the door to any personal preferences without worrying about adulterating an otherwise original car. Have fun with it and share your progress please
Thanks for your insight! Yes rear seats are e24. I think it is an early 1973 3.0. Its got a messed up VIN so not worth putting too much into it. I will pull the rocker panel covers and see what's going on there. When I have it on the proper lift I hope to be able to give her a proper inspection.

Really just want to make it a fun driver for the next 5 years or so. Basically structurally sound and good enough for cheap paint.

best
Adam

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Probably a good fun plan. Much of the body surface rust could be cut out and fiberglassed back. In a relatively quick fashion!

To the purists who just read that hokey rust belt solution, and before you write me off as a hack, let me explain. The car is so terribly compromised with the vin that the rust becomes a secondary issue (I can’t believe that I actually just typed that. Especially since it’s an e9). As such, little to no money should be spent trying to properly sort it out. Fill the holes in the fastest and most structurally sound and cost effective way. Then run it through Maaco for a spray job (getting some beer and calling friends over to do a 1 day paint job would work as well-perhaps better) don’t forget to spray it in a single stage non metallic color so that you can sand and buff out all of the runs and dust from painting it in the driveway on a breezy day. In this case “perfection is the enemy of good enough”.

Some e9s (probably most associated with this forum) don’t deserve this level of bastardization. I think this one does and should be relished for the complete freedom and lack of proper concern it brings to the restoration (sic) process. Have fun

rastablood

Reaction score
Probably a good fun plan. Much of the body surface rust could be cut out and fiberglassed back. In a relatively quick fashion!

To the purists who just read that hokey rust belt solution, and before you write me off as a hack, let me explain. The car is so terribly compromised with the vin that the rust becomes a secondary issue (I can’t believe that I actually just typed that. Especially since it’s an e9). As such, little to no money should be spent trying to properly sort it out. Fill the holes in the fastest and most structurally sound and cost effective way. Then run it through Maaco for a spray job (getting some beer and calling friends over to do a 1 day paint job would work as well-perhaps better) don’t forget to spray it in a single stage non metallic color so that you can sand and buff out all of the runs and dust from painting it in the driveway on a breezy day. In this case “perfection is the enemy of good enough”.

Some e9s (probably most associated with this forum) don’t deserve this level of bastardization. I think this one does and should be relished for the complete freedom and lack of proper concern it brings to the restoration (sic) process. Have fun
So much respect for your wisdom and kind words! I think we are sort of aligned. upon close inspection, I will decide how much to invest in it... note I will never sell it.
I am skilled but have little time. my very good friend Jesse has a full shop and actually has my MIG (because I never use it) and we can have some fun! in no way is this a financial play... just something fun because I always wanted one and it will be shared with my friend whom donated it... etarnally rust free :))))

Adam

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score

A little bit of vomit came up in my mouth when I read this. :D That said, agree that's probably the only realistic way to get this car on the road. At least you wont need to take a prozac before taking your CSL for a drive in case it rains, somebody leans on it or heaven forbid somebody marks it.. :)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Adam,
Despite my earlier comments regarding corrosion concerns, I am excited to follow your progress on this car and see where you take it (on the road hopefully) It sounds like you have a plan to allow for some coupe enjoyment - congrats and good luck!
Stephen

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
It is clear you have some enthusiasm for the car and want to get it on the road because of it's beauty (after all, it is an E9) and because I sense you like a challenge.......so welcome to the club. As you move forward, keep your original game plan in sight, it is so easy to go down the rabbit hole. A car like this is like being at the Black Jack table and you keep saying "just one more game" over and over till you have spent way more money than you thought or ever wanted to.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Safer than a motorcycle!!!

I received similar advance when I bought mine. I wish I could say I proved everyone wrong but all I have done so far is spent a small amount of money and a massive amount of time on parts. We all have our life priorities and restoring a car isn’t always at the top of the list.

At any rate, don’t let lack of fender and in my case exterior rust fool you. Ability to place the car on a jack/lift isn’t always correlated with rocker condition either.

Some areas to review:

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
If I were in a dry climate like yours, I'd fix the chassis structure, if economically reasonable, and not touch the paint (maybe a flat clearcoat)...patina is pretty cool. Make it as safe as possible, and try not to run into anything...

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
With that hole under the rear window, you probably have rust in the member that runs along the top of the trunk under the window. My car had a failing trunk gasket that led to rust through in that groove and both ends of that under window member are rusted out. Interestingly, the first versions of the 2800CS had a drain on that member connected to a hose that took any water out of the floor of the trunk. I'm not sure how structural that part is, but it probably firms up the window frame so the gasket isn't flexed when the trunk is opened and closed which could lead to a leak.

paul cain

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@rastablood First item: Welcome. I think that @Oldbmwcoupes and @Markos are giving you some really, really good advice. You and your buddies can definitely paint it on a Saturday. It's the Chrome trim, weatherstripping, interior work, headliner, etc and piles of cash that will make you rethink this plan. These are great cars. Maybe waiting just a bit longer might net you one that is worth all the post painting effort?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would press the pause button, wait a bit, think it through, check with your broker and hit delete.