Changing out the rear window "Guide"

Bwana

Reaction score
The felt section of my rear window "guide" is shot so I've got some new stuff from the dearler and so want to install it.

It's #7 on the Real OEM diagram

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=3442&mospid=47808&btnr=51_3451&hg=51&fg=05

Looks like this

P8040002_zps4b85ce19.jpg

It's the felt section that the rear window fits into when all the way up. Mine is bent and old and so is preventing me from properly adjusting the rear window closure because the window can't go all the way up.

P8030007_zps9f197b2d.jpg

So there seems to be a clip of sorts to remove to take the felt section out. The new stuff has a metal backing that can be bent around to achieve the best fit.

But what holds the metal felt "guide" stuff into the window frame? I've poked around with a screw driver but don't want to tear something up that will be a PITA to fix. I can't find any screws for the clip and none show on OEM. Is it simply a press fit????

Has anybody replaced this "guide" section? #6 on Real OEM. I've searched but to no avail.

Thanks

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
It has been a while seen I've done this. IIRC, there are sharp barbs on both sides of the fastening clips that snap very tightly onto the aluminum rear window U-channels and the U-felts. To access them, one has to pull the old felt out, grabbing hold of felt ending with pliers and pull straight out(the clips are made of hardened steel and will not be damaged). Once the felt is out, then pry out clips out of channel with a small slotted screwdriver.

To install clips back into U-channels, space them out evenly, press them in so they are locked into aluminum channels, then insert new felts. Once felt is installed into the clips, it cannot be repositioned without damaging felt, so use extra care when doing so.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
+1
my thread about rear windows explains and shows this quite clearly
i understand your fear, but there are no screws that hold the clamps
simply introduce a flat screwdriver at the front top end of the feltstrip, introduce it until you feel the first clamp, and then use the screwdriver to force it down and out, you well feel how simple it is when you do the first one

151120073773.jpg

berts advise is also good, but, maybe you will feel difficult to achieve because the old feltstrip can be desintegrated in little pieces before efectively coming out, and in fact is unnecesary

regards

Last edited: