Cheap Japanese Vans

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Found this interesting. Small used vans are cheaper than a Hotel room in Japan

Here is a cheap one I found from a company my family has dealt with. https://www.japanesevehicles.com/vehicle_details.php?vid=211469&lang=en

My Brother bought a Subaru Forester we had shipped to the Bahamas off them many years ago for $2,000. It was like new.

Last edited:

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
My understanding of why cars are so cheap coming out of Japan is that every three or 4 years they have to go through an expensive smaog rehab that makes it economically more feasible to buy a new car so they just dump the old ones. A friend of mine was a used car buyer for a huge dealership conglomerate and was in Hawaii much of the time buying close to 1000 cars a month out of Japan as they would meet our smog laws here Don't ask me why Hawaii was in the equation

Gazz

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good luck with the Japanese satnav. I wonder if it can be converted to English?

Are RHD drive cars okay in the US?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you eat healthy you may live long enough to see the US postal service purchase used Japanese vehicles. If you also exercise you may live to see the Japanese Postal Service buy American Vehicles. Free trade is a myth.

Well, lots of posties so that is potentially a pretty big market for Kei vans.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you eat healthy you may live long enough to see the US postal service purchase used Japanese vehicles. If you also exercise you may live to see the Japanese Postal Service buy American Vehicles. Free trade is a myth.
Traded it all in with Japan for Fighter Jets in the 70s. Who needs to build anything??

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I love this idea. I’ve been fascinated with Japan’s micro car culture and I’ve always admired many parts of their culture in general. I’ve been watching prices of older vehicles in Japan for the past few years. They seem to discard vehicles very early compared to us here in the States. If you are used to American mileage and condition, then these vehicles are downright near new. An interesting and fun idea for sure, hmmm. Thanks for sharing

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another interesting secondary market for Japanese vehicles is pickup trucks. The Toyota Hilux used by ISIS is stock, only the AK47 option is dealer installed.