cheaper 45DCOE's (from the UK)

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys,
I'm going to place an order for a set of 45DCOE's for the motor VSR1 built for me.
I found a reputable source for these in the UK at a significantly better price than we pay in the USA. Price before shipping is about $300 per carb. These are the type 152 or 152G, made in Spain, and come with 2" velocity stacks. Best price I found in the USA so far is $380

I am not sure what shipping will be (should know by tomorrow).

If you want the vendor's name, contact me via the Conversations tool.

John

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another triple Weber Carbs guy. Welcome to the insanity.

I presume you have gone to the tii booster with those stacks, correct?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You could contact Gabrielle (Alfa1750) on ebay to see if he can hook you up with a reconditioned set of Italian 152 45's jetted to your specific application plus intercouple linkage.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve, thanks for the suggestion. I was going to try the 152G's (4 progression holes) which might let me run bigger chokes without risking a lean spot in the transition to the main circuit. With previous cars having triple DCOE's, I had 2 sets of chokes (street and track), easily swapped in about 10 minutes. This time around I've got an authentic Alpina intake system/motor, which makes it impractical to swap out carb guts.

As far as brake boosters go, yes I have a spare tii booster on the shelf but I don't think it's needed with the Alpina setup. The 60mm stacks that come with the carbs are superfluous, but might make some good garage art or pen/paperclip cups for the office.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just wondering why the country of mfg is valued in terms of Webers? Are the Italian ones better?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Alpina induction bits...sigh...

The lore of Italy vs. Spain comes from when Weber ceased production in Italy and moved production to Spain in the waning days of carburetor relevance. Some will say the quality of the molds and the QC in general deteriorated during Spanish production. Not to say they are all bad, but the chance of getting a bum one increased. Being shallow, I also like to see "Italy" on my carb tops :cool:

I think it's helpful if possible to have them properly set up by a pro builder vs. pulling them out of a box and installing them as is.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve,
VSR1 built the motor and will guide me on a starting calibration for the carbs. I have confidence Mario will provide me a good starting point. Then when I wise up and stop burning $1000 bills racing my Alfa I'll have enough $ put my E9 on a chassis dyno to get it dialed in better. I hope I can get back to the level of performance this motor produced when new (it was injected).

John

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pics of the Alpina induction system, or it didn't happen... :)

I have an old, Alpina 45DCOE15&16 set up from a 2002. The airhorns are angled and rotate to clear the booster...but it still used a Tii booster. I'm going to rebuild them and put them on the '67 CS and see how she behaves.

Ed