Check this out

chicane

Reaction score
WOW! On the surface it looks like a great car at a very reasonable price.
Someone should go check it out in person......

chicane

Reaction score
AndyM said:
Except for those awful bumpers! I would've changed those out along the way.

+1. But that is an easy enough fix.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
A beautiful car. My 74 CSA is original and the same color combo. But not nearly as clean as it would be with a fresh restoration like this coupe.

I think it's great buy. Even with the big bumpers. It would be really tough to buy a coupe and restore it to this condition for less than the $26K asking price.

Nice wheels but I'm partial to the Alpina style.

John

AndyM

Reaction score
Beautiful, yes. Restored, no. I'd take a closer look before dropping $26k on that one. Yes, it was stripped to bare metal and has a very nice paint job on it. No question. But there's no mention whatsoever about any recent mechanical work done to the car. For that money, I would expect a rebuilt motor, all new bearings, brakes, suspension bushings, clutch, struts, springs, steering -- the whole works. That stuff gets really expensive really quickly. Also, only new front leather, but not the rears? You can see they don't look quite right in the pictures. What other corners were cut? I agree it looks beautiful, but that beauty may be only skin deep. I personally look for cars like this since I can do all of the mechanical work myself, but would not pay that much if the mechanicals are not equally nice.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
chicane said:
WOW! On the surface it looks like a great car at a very reasonable price. Someone should go check it out in person......

??????chicane??!???!?!!

1df14c9a20602098ec27c6e171752b5d.jpg

:shock: "everything I know is wrong" :shock:

psychrunner

Reaction score
restoration cost

To fully restore a coupe, one would spend well over 1,000 hours. I had mine restored and spent well over double the cost of this car, so considering that, even if this a partial restoration, it is a "good" price if what appears to be completed was done correctly. Unless one does all the work himself, paying a typical rate of $60 to $70 an hour plus parts, adds up to.... well you do the math. So Andy, from one who just had a coupe "restored", if you are paying someone, there is no way the work you cite can be performed for close to this asking price. If you are doing it yourself, that may be quite a different story.
psychrunner

AndyM

Reaction score
Re: restoration cost

psychrunner said:
To fully restore a coupe, one would spend well over 1,000 hours. I had mine restored and spent well over double the cost of this car, so considering that, even if this a partial restoration, it is a "good" price if what appears to be completed was done correctly. Unless one does all the work himself, paying a typical rate of $60 to $70 an hour plus parts, adds up to.... well you do the math. So Andy, from one who just had a coupe "restored", if you are paying someone, there is no way the work you cite can be performed for close to this asking price. If you are doing it yourself, that may be quite a different story.
psychrunner

I absolutely agree that you can't get all of that work done for the asking price. My point is simply that this isn't a fully restored coupe and there's a huge difference between a cosmetic restoration and a true nut and bolt restoration that includes everything else that wears out along the way. Again, it depends on what kind of shape the rest of the car is in - and how well the work already done was performed, but I doubt I would pay anything close to that amount for a car like this -- its a lot of money. For example, I find big bumper coupes all the time in the $4-5k range. Assuming you start with a clean body with minimal rust, a nice paint job with partial dissassembly of that caliber is probably $10k. The front leather seats are about $2k. New wood can vary dramatically I suppose, but a decent veneer job is maybe another $2k. Add in some rubber pieces, carpet/padding and miscellaneous odds and ends for another $2-3k and your still only at $20-22k. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but what am I missing? Not really trying to dis this car -- it's nice -- but I think I could duplicate the same thing for less $$$ pretty easily even if I farmed out most of the work.

. . .and I still can't get past those dang bumpers. . . .

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: restoration cost

[quote="AndyM]
. . .and I still can't get past those dang bumpers. . . .[/quote]

Those aren't my bumpers! :wink:

dang

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sold. Buy it now for 26.5K. We'll see if it sticks.
Well bought?