Chevy 7.0 liter in a '75 3.0

You are very perceptive! Joe did a lot of the work on Paul's 3002Ttil as well. I believe he sold this car a while back since we haven't seen it for quite a while.

Joe sold the car to a guy in Texas. Same guy I sold my 533i to and got the Dinan 333i from. Super nice guy with a great collection!

m10 Turbo vs Small Block Chev

This post got me thinking of other transplant possibilities for the e9 other than the typical 3.0 - 3.5l 1968 - 1992 m30 variants that we bolt in. That and retirement come Jan 1.

The ideal candidate would stay "in house" within the BMW marque, involve the least amount of structural modifications, solve some of the nose heavy weight bias associated with the in line six cylinder, have a bullet proof 5 spd available, have an almost unlimited supply of engines and an entire performance industry to support it and produce absolutely insane amounts (and variety) of power. And there have to be thousands of these engines available - cheap. I already said that.

The answer is a turbo m10. Correct me if I'm totally wrong but the m10 is just an m30 without the front two cylinders. In cross section, it's the same engine isn't it? Lots of parts are common and the architecture is clearly derivative. A little measuring would confirm my suspicions that the motor mounts are close - if not bolt in copies. The '02 community world wide posts examples of largely DIY builds that produce prodigious power close to what this small block does for a fraction of the cost or if the 700 rhwp one Swedish gentleman claimed is true - beyond the Chev. There are lots of commercial packages for the less resourceful. AND IT'S STILL A BMW!!!

The weight savings alone would bring the front/rear bias to perfection and the space available in the engine compartment even after adding an intercooler make this the easiest install ever compared to the rabbit warren plumbing display the 02 produces when you go to boost. If you blow it up, there is another ready to take it's place.

I guess what I'm saying is that you don't need a 7 litre small block into a car to make it go faster, you just need to move the same amount of air through that it does. So if anybody has a blown motor and wants to get creative for relatively small mounts of money... give your 3.0 a 2.0 and a whole new lease on life.

Not in my plans but I do have a spare motor. 2.0l as it happens.

Doug

Trunk/diff reinforcement

Interesting reinforcement of the trunk/diff. Is this a kit or a custom job? Has anyone done something similar on their e9?

Attachments

• trunk reinforcement.jpg
    trunk reinforcement.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 104
Back