chrome exhaust tip

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
reminded by the "wanted /for sale" thread re exhaust tips, I need an exhaust trim tip for my E9. On the other thread the consensus is that 60mm would be correct. However I've measured my car's exhaust, and it is 55mm dia. at the end of the tailpipe (with no chrome tip)

I did see that job lot of tail pipe tips for sale, but determined they would not fit my car, being (mostly) 60mm and not 55mm

which is right? how can I tell which sized tip I need? It is a UK CSL, no idea if the tailpipe is factory spec, guessing it's not original though!!

thanks

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Since this is both a very rust prone element and probably the easiest one to fix/replace, many of the tail pipes were replaced by owners over the years. So you end up with many different sizes out there. Yours could indeed be any number depending on what the muffler shop had on hand at the time. So the only way to tell for sure is to measure it.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s probably no coincidence that it is 55mm. That is the diameter of a 2800CS exhaust system. Someone probably replaced all or a portion of the exhaust with the wrong parts.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Get an adapter welded on the back of it (after you've cut some off). Then get a 60mm one (same one, albeit a tad shorter, used on Porsches).

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, the "good" news is the whole system is fairly rusty, and so might need to be replaced soon. If I did want to renew the exhaust, where's best for parts? W&N? BMW? Eurocarparts?!
(Uk based)

Ta

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have two, too big for my E24. I drilled 3 small holes in it and then placed three SS self tapping wood screws. These are tightened down to center the tip on the exhaust, placed far enough forward that you cannot see them. Got the idea from a simple Christmas Tree stand.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, the "good" news is the whole system is fairly rusty, and so might need to be replaced soon. If I did want to renew the exhaust, where's best for parts? W&N? BMW? Eurocarparts?!
(Uk based)

Ta
W&N has a pretty sweet stainless setup for the coupe. Several people are using it.