Chrome trim just above door wood trim

sidcc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I’m having my door wood trim re-veneered by Madera Concepts and would like to remove the many scratches on the chrome trim while I’m at it.

I am trying to determine whether the chrome is metal or plastic. Does anyone know? If it is metal I will drill out the rivets and have it re-chromed. If it is plastic I’m not sure what to do?!

Many thanks
IMG_0194.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might be anodised aluminium - check with a magnet first.

Just checked. I think you are right about it being anodized aluminum based on the magnet test.

I’m glad this has caused a bit of discussion because I felt silly for asking the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked. I think you are right about it being anodized aluminum based on the magnet test.

I’m glad this has caused a bit of discussion because I felt silly for asking the question.

Hi Sid,

Hope all is well in PHX as the weather warms up. My AC guy says you are all squared away!

Go ahead and drill out those rivets. You can polish the aluminum and remove all of the scratches. Honestly it is so small that you could probably do it yourself. However if you are like me, you have zero desire to spend your precious free time polishing aluminum. I think I would rather mud and tape drywall than polish aluminum, and that is saying a lot. :D

Go ahead and drill out those rivets. You can polish the aluminum and remove all of the scratches. Honestly it is so small that you could probably do it yourself. However if you are like me, you have zero desire to spend your precious free time polishing aluminum. I think I would rather mud and tape drywall than polish aluminum, and that is saying a lot. :D
Oh my. I would rather polish aluminum any day than mud and tape drywall - ha ha! I bought some special aluminum/metal polishes and matching wheels to use on a drill or other rotary tool. I did an entire aluminum bike frame, and several other miscellaneous bits. I would think those strips would go pretty quickly.

The product I used was geared towards aircraft polishing: https://nuvitechemical.com/

Oh my. I would rather polish aluminum any day than mud and tape drywall - ha ha! I bought some special aluminum/metal polishes and matching wheels to use on a drill or other rotary tool. I did an entire aluminum bike frame, and several other miscellaneous bits. I would think those strips would go pretty quickly.

The product I used was geared towards aircraft polishing: https://nuvitechemical.com/

Ok I admit I would rather polish aluminum haha. Thanks for the reference. I actually do have two sets of wheels to polish.

Hi Sid,

Hope all is well in PHX as the weather warms up. My AC guy says you are all squared away!

Hey Markos

Car came back with ice cold AC. I drove it for a about a month before deciding to take it apart again!

It started with the front vent windows. My chrome frames were quite badly pitted, and your AC guy (who is such a great guy, BTW) happened to have a nice clean pair.

So I removed the vent windows and then one thing led to another and the car is now in bits!

Since door panels were off and vent window was out I decided to

- replace the rubber installed in the vent window
- remove all of the belt trim and send off to speedway to have refinished
- remove the door wood trim and have that refinished
- fix some rust that has started to bubble up on the inside of the door (under the chrome piece at the top of the door)
- work on aligning the driver side door that doesn’t close very well (still working on that)
- refinish the anodized chrome trip on the door panel by the wood trim as well as the decorative stuff in the leather

Apart from that I’ve reflocked my glovebox and under and dash panel and I’m in the process of restoring the front grilles which are cracked in various places!

Haven’t driven the car in about a month and guessing the weather in Phoenix will be nice again when I am able to do so!

Sid

5e47da2c0242af8b978355e2531e4de5.jpg

d4d6b9a549a9af043350e4eabf7f22e4.jpg

IMG_5921.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back