Clicking noise from rear end at low speed

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have started to hear this click when my car starts to move. I suspect it is the half shafts that need rebuild. But I vaguely remember hearing that on the locked differential on my race Tii many years ago. Before I go on a wild goose chase, does Anyone have an idea which one might be the problem?

Thank you.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, not lose marbles. Just a single click seemingly when going from dead stop to motion. Also when on sharp turn as when parallel parking.
And, no it is not related to the lug nuts.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This is a tough one without hearing/feeling it for one's self. Does it happen only once after the car was at rest? Or does it repeat every start/stop on a drive? Any exhaust work recently?

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Replaced brake pads or discs recently? Small stone got in between disc and pad?
Something in the tyre?
regards

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, it is hard to diagnose without hearing it. But, I am 98.673% sure it is coming from either the diff or the half shafts. It is a single click. As if you had ball bearings and there was a space between two balls and when you decide to go forward the balls would close that space and click as they hit each other and after that no more noise.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Jack your car up and carefully, put the car in gear.

My daily driver (G37) does that and it's due to needing to re-torque the main axle hub nut.

JamesE30

Reaction score
Could be your driveshaft centre support bearing. I had very similar symptoms on my e30 (more of a clunk than a click.. eventually) and it was the CSB. Be sure to mark the driveshaft half’s if you disassemble anything!

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not totally relevant but quite funny in hindsight.
i had one of the very first modern Jeep renegades in the UK and no surprise it went into an electronic tantrum and applied the auto handbrake and rang the alarm a lot. Ear defenders to get in it.
Jeep service was fantastic and sent a man out to have a look, he fixed it in about 2 minutes. So I showed him my partly rebuilt E9, he was properly interested so I explained my clicking which was evident when I nudged it out of the garage for the first time since partly reassembling her. I had just rebuilt the drive shafts, had the diff out, rear axle off front axle off, full interior out. I feared I messed something up. We drove it whilst sitting on 2 blocks of wood for seats. He also spotted the issue in minutes, a spot of debris stuck to a new brake disc.
Bo, could this be your problem?