Clicking noise

cdk2921

Reaction score
Took my Coupe out this morning and turned it off after a 15 minute drive around town. About 1 hr later I go to start it and when I turn the ignition, it just clicks and doesnt turn over. As long as it turns over it will start. Does anyone know what this clicking sound might be? Any similar problems with your E9??
Thanks!

check to make sure the starter is connected.

My 2002 did that a while ago. One of the flat ended wires had fallen off the starter somehow.

Agree with Vroomer, also check that the battery connection are clean and tight, follow the cable to the starter and check the connection there too. In addition check the cable to the starter solenoid. THey carry a lot of amps so they need to be sound.

To check you can make a flying lead..
take the small wire connection off the solenoid, attach test cable and jump it on the battery +ve - starter turns over ok? -
If everything looks ok there it could be the electrical ignition switch at the bottom of the ignition switch barrel, they do "go" eventually as the contacts wear out. It's fiddly kind of job to replace but it can be done.

One other possibility - check the engine earth (ground) is OK

HTH
Malc

Back