Clutch master cylinder leaking back

Mike Goble

Reaction score
While I was sitting at a busy intersection in Phoenix, my car suddenly stalled. I was in 1st gear, clutch depressed with the brakes on. It took me a few seconds to realize that it had not suddenly stopped like an ignition failure, it stalled by being dragged down. I pumped the clutch a couple of times and managed to get through the intersection and on to my destination. I inspected both the master and slave cylinders for leakage, and none was apparent. The clutch still worked, it just wouldn't hold for any more than 10 seconds.
I pulled the master cylinder out yesterday, probably the original one, and took it apart. I did not realize that there are two seals in there, one that keeps the fluid pressurized when you depress the pedal and one that keeps the fluid from the reservoir from leaking out past the piston when you push it in. The pressure seal was worn, so I replaced them both and Bob's my uncle...

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I rebuilt the 2800 four years ago I installed a new master and slave. The slave lasted one year, the master 1 1/2 years. You never know how long parts have sat on the shelf, I think we figured the NOS master may have been 10 years old.