clutch master question

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi All,

When installing the 2-pedal set up to covert auto to 5 speed everything fit really nicely but when I went to mount the clutch master it did not fit quite right. Can you folks take a look at the pic attached and tell me if I have to grind down the lip of the fire wall a little or do I have it in upside down and bass-ackwards?
Thanks,

Attachments

• clutch master.jpg
    clutch master.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 157

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
The fluid intake from the brake fluid reservoir on the Master should face up.

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The fluid intake from the break fluid reservoir on the Master should face up.

+1, but the cylinder showed here seems odd to me, you can see that is not possible to face up that hole due to the position of the support bolts

i assume that is betterto adapt the hose that comes from the reservoir, modify the geometry andmake the way to this "lateral" intake

BTW, it will be much easier to install the hose to the cylinder whenboth of them are out from the car (you will need to gently turn thehose clock and anti-clock wise while exerting pressure to introduce the tip of that damned hose)

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
This type of clutch master cylinders was fitted to the late production coupes and continuing into the 5 and 6 series. The 2 mounting holes are bolted horizontally compared to the vertical mounting holes of the earlier cars.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
As always

Thanks for the input. I do wonder however if ther is a part number that will fit right in with the tip up and no banging on the firewall. Nice to know that it won't stop the progress in its tracks!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I used e21 as the original was NLA but perhaps available again. Tapping was one small spot and very easy, line position was no problem either.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I purchased a new master clutch cylinder from W&N a couple of years ago. It is from the euro 1800/2002 series. It looks almost identical to the original and bolts right in. The only modification is to swap the threaded linkage bar for the original (easy - it just has a different end and length).

part # 21-52-1-104-262

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Much appreciated

Thanks Chris,

In that case I'll probably just tap the wall and do the fittings. I'm getting close, so I hope to post a video of it's first start which will make me very happy!

Best and thanks to all for the info!