Clutch not building any pressure?

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to get my E9 out the garage but the clutch isn't playing along. Taken out the master cylinder, rebuilt it, pressing it by hand it sucks my thumb in and holds it. On the car it's not drawing any fluid from the reservoir, not stiffening up at all either. Blown through the lines with the compressor and can't see an obstruction. Tried pumping fluid through the slave cylinders bleed nipple using an oil pump but that wasn't doing it either and was just pressurizing the pipe i placed onto the nipple. Even if the slave was seized, surely the MC should have built up some pressure?

Any ideas?

Administrator

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had trouble getting clutch MC's to prime also. I didn't have a pressure system but got it to work eventually.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have you tried gravity bleeding, fill the reservoir and open the slave valve and let it drip out for about 30 min or so, refilling if necessary. Then start the normal bleeding pump/open & close the valve with an assistant routine. Sometimes that gets things started.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Check the seal at the top of the Master to make sure no air is getting into the system while you are trying to bleed. Also, have you looked at your pedal travel? The Master won't fill with insufficient pedal travel. Should be 155mm from resting to clutch stop. A carpet in the way can prevent full travel (ask me how I know).

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seal looks good and didn't leak when i pressuirised the system, pedal travel is sufficient and it goes to the very end of its travel and I make sure it fully extends before depressing again.

Car is RHD, I believe that master cylinders for the RHD cars were different?

Honolulu

Reaction score
Changed the master cylinder on a Tacoma several weeks ago. The new cylinder comes with two plastic threaded fittings that screw into the master cylinder ports in place of the tubes to the calipers. You then attach two short pieces of clear tubing (included) so that you're pumping fluid through the master cylinder right back into the reservoir.

That was a pretty dang neat idea, and it worked like a charm. Now you might only want to fully stroke a new master cylinder, as we did, lest the old cylinder scar up the seals. I kept those two fittings, you betcha.

sfdon

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Masters self bleed - both brakes and clutch. Pumping the pedal does it with pressure unit on.