Clutch pedal question

tmason

Reaction score
After driving for a little while the pedal gets spongy and will get close to the firewall before it disengages. I pumped and bleed but still the same. Any idea's? Next is to gravity bleed.
TIA Tim

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You have a 5 speed yes? If so the slave cylinder has to be removed from the bell housing and left hanging for it to bleed correctly. Not sure if a power bleed or gravity will do it.

When I installed mine I couldn't get it to bleed out. SFDon suggested the above and it bled in 5 min.

Honolulu

Reaction score
Yeah do that with the bleeding bit, but (here comes the bad news) there can be other causes. I'm sure you'll get back if the bleed procedure doesn't work.

Had a '95 E36 convertible with a "bad clutch". Replaced the slave cylinder, no joy. Bled it in several positions. Slave cylinder proven good. Finally took it to the pros and it turned out the release bearing was hanging up on the sleeve it rides on. The sleeve is bolted to the trans, so the trans had to come out. Had them put in a new clutch kit "while they were in there" and it cost some $800. Had I done the work myself, about a quarter of that, but I'd just started a new job, time was short, wife on my case.

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Tim, I gravity bled mine while still in place, crack the bleeder, put a cup underneath and fill reservoir with fluid and let sit overnight or maybe 2 nights if you can. Just crack a little; if it does not work the suggestions below are all excellent. Just because it worked for me does not mean it will for you but it's pretty cheap..

Rek

Reaction score
Strange that it happens only after you've been driving for a while.

Does it happen only after the engine warms up?

I suffered this from overheating fluid from the master cylinder being too close to the exhaust - RHD only I suppose.

tmason

Reaction score
It seems to be better after bleeding it. I'm thinking it might have settled in after the install.
It will disengages at about 3"+ from the firewall and before it was 3"+ pressing it in would disengage so not sure why but it shifts fine?