Colour change

Quattmann

Reaction score
I have a csl which is being restored. It seems that my car is a different colour to the one it was when it came from the factory.

As the car is being stripped to bare metal I have choice of what to do about this and I wondered what the consensus here is regarding a car not being original colour. I would keep a genuine csl colour of course but how important is original colour when it comes to values?

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keep it a CSL color but get the one you like best.
I suppose if you are restoring it to sell, the 100% originality would be more critical but for your own enjoyment go with your choice. Other probably know better than I do, but I don't think it would make that much difference.

If you found a CSL in pristine condition with very low mileage, a time capsule, I would not change a thing as it would be totally original and unrestored.

Stan

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Given how most of the remaining E9s have been through at least one major restoration, many of them are no longer their original color. If you are looking to maximize your ROI, original is always best. If you want to keep it because you like the car, any CSL color will do.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Twenty seven years ago I almost changed the color of my coupe (Tiaga) because I was constantly getting unsolicted comments at stop lights and in parking lots....... " nice car, ugly color". Now I get ......."nice car, I love the color".

Color preference comes and goes like fashion but original is always the best (especially if you keep it long enough it will be back in fashion).

ny30cs

Reaction score
I have a csl which is being restored. It seems that my car is a different colour to the one it was when it came from the factory.

As the car is being stripped to bare metal I have choice of what to do about this and I wondered what the consensus here is regarding a car not being original colour. I would keep a genuine csl colour of course but how important is original colour when it comes to values?

If you are planning on keeping it forever, paint it whatever color you'd like. If you are thinking of reselling it in your lifetime, go original..........

Quattmann

Reaction score
Twenty seven years ago I almost changed the color of my coupe (Tiaga) because I was constantly getting unsolicted comments at stop lights and in parking lots....... " nice car, ugly color". Now I get ......."nice car, I love the color".

Color preference comes and goes like fashion but original is always the best (especially if you keep it long enough it will be back in fashion).
You've still got it? Mine is Taiga at the moment, it should be Fjord Blue, I prefer Taiga which is why I am wondering what to do.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, it's still my daily driver. I think a CSL should be an exotic color (mine is a CSI) so if you like Tiaga and you're going keep it awhile ....... its fashionable to be green!

goodolarchie

Reaction score
Yes, it's still my daily driver. I think a CSL should be an exotic color (mine is a CSI) so if you like Tiaga and you're going keep it awhile ....... its fashionable to be green!

I'm becoming increasingly drawn to Ceylon... I saw an '02 the other day in this color and it was fantastic.

966205.jpg

CSLRich

Reaction score
I'm drawn to the difference between "history" and "originality". For your car, originality would demand Fjord but actually she's probably spent more of her history painted Tiaga.

My personal choice would be Tiaga because I agree with the earlier post that CSLs should be a little more flamboyant.

But then she's your car so provided you pick a CSL colour (and there's a bunch to pick from from) then you get to choose - it's payback for keeping the rust at bay fir a few more years !

Rich

Beemer70

Reaction score
Am all for personal choice.. blah blah - but please don't paint it that diarrhea orangey brown below ... no need to destroy such a pretty car

Quattmann

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience of having their car dipped, is it recommended and if so, who do you recommend (in UK) and what is a reasonable cost?
Thanks

The Don

Reaction score
There is a good place in Dudley, West Midlands called Surface Process Ltd, Deepdale Lane, DY3 2AF (01384 242010) not far from the Castle and Zoo.

If your car has paint, the initial process costs around £950 + VAT (2011 price). If it needs welding you can get it re-dipped after that for about half and then if you want it e-coated they can get that done for you too, but usually a long waiting list.