Component part rust removal

Bwana

Reaction score
Any way to do a "DIY" rust removal for small parts? I've seen the electrolisys method (no thanks) and possibly CLR but anything that works in my lifetime? Is pool acid, used with proper safety consideration, too harsh? I have to clean some parts from a D-Jet system before I send them in for re-plating. Any suggestions?

IMG_20161016_153440069_HDR1_zps2mhzt7dd.jpg

IMG_20161016_152555612_HDR1_zpsyzhe15m0.jpg

heck i used a wire wheel on a drill in a vice for virtually everything in my car
thats how i know how excellent the metal in ours cars are.
damn near comes back to brand new.
use the real stiff one for some things like that and the fine for alum and lite stuff

I have read of references to the tumbler on this forum many times, so I got one last year and it really helps clean small parts. A useful addition to the shop, cannot ever have enough tools! Mike

the easy DIY: as you are sending it out for plating, it isn't that crucial to get ALL rust off.

Best results: Clean it with a angle grinder with flap disc or wire wheel. Use a vise or you'll end up with stitches (AMHIK) Even an hand brush or sand paper can be good enough.

Priority is to get the flaky stuff off and get a mostly shiny surface. If its pitted then you will likely want to make it a smooth surface using a angle grinder with flap disc (60 grit for getting rid of rust, for shiny choose 200 grit flap discs).
As you are sending it out for zinc plating, you're OK to leave some tiny spots of rust in pits, corners etc. In the plating they dip it firstly in severe acids. That will remove all rust molecules, even in places that you wont reach with an angle grinder and a flap disc.

I see also some small clips for sheet metal screws, ideally take them of and sandblast them, then tie them with a steel wire to a big part. hand it all over to the plater, and you will get everyting back shiny and looking brand new.

Fyi, the inside of the tube will hardly get any coating due to the limitations of the plating process, the current doesnt "enter into" the pipe, giving no zinc deposit on the inside.
Erik

Last edited:
Excellent suggestions! I ended up using my blasting cabinet (I know, I'm an idiot) but I thought it would be too harsh initially. I used walnuts first but then shifted to Black Beauty. Came out great but the corrosion may have been to much too late. See the D-Jet thread....

Back