Connecting Exhaust System

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
This if for my '72 Bavaria, but I would think applies to E9s also.

Is there some sort of clamp that is used when connecting the rear muffler to the front muffler/pipe? I don't see one shown in RealOEM but it seems something is needed.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 8.39.41 AM.png

johnl

Reaction score
I had my entire exhaust system replaced recently with a stock system that came from Europe. As I recall that rear muffler assembly had to be welded but I wasn't there and haven't looked under the car.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks!

I too have installed a complete NOS exhaust system. The rear muffler has a nice slip fit into the long pipe that comes out of the front muffler...

IMG_4490.jpeg

It looks to me that just a few tacks would be all that is needed to keep the rear muffler from the possibility of rotating. The slip fit is tight enough that there doesn't seem to be any exhaust leaking at that joint. With just a few tacks it would be easy to disassemble the system again if necessary. Is that what you guys mean when you say "welded" or is the joint actually welded all the way around?

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our 2800 was welded and untouched from new. If you have a 2002 there is a clamp there as the pipe goes over the subframe but not in our cars.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think part of the thinking is that the system travels under the rear axles instead of over like a lot of cars. It's easy to drop the whole system from the header pipes.

E3_UK

Reaction score
It should be welded around the circumference after tacking on the car when correctly positioned then removed for welding.

Attachments

• Rear Muffler.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 137