Connecting up a pertronix ignition system

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

With the pertronix does it wire up as follows:

Connect the red wire from the Ignitor module to the positive (+) side of the coil and the black wire to the negative (-) side of the coil.

Or is it different when you have the ballast resistor?

Yes, it is different with a resistor. You want the red wire to the Pertronix to go to the +12 terminal on the resistor. That is, the Pertronix receives the full 12 volts, while the coil still receives the stepped-down voltage from the resistor.

See figure #3 on the Pertronix instruction sheet below.

Attachments

• Pertronix sheet002.jpg
    Pertronix sheet002.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 787
Last edited:
If the Red wire is to connect to the +12 side of the resistor, Looking at my new resistor there are no markings on it. With the mounting bracket at the 12:00 position is the +12 on the right or left ?

Thanks, Steve

A resistor does not have a + side or a - side. The 12v side vs. the side that goes to the coil. The coil is sent reduced voltage from the coil side wire; the resistor reduces the voltage.
Jon

resistor

what is the point to reduce the voltage to the coil since we dont have any igniton points any more?
so remove the ballast resistor and connect to 12v to coil is the way to do it

what is the point to reduce the voltage to the coil since we dont have any igniton points any more?
so remove the ballast resistor and connect to 12v to coil is the way to do it

Jan:

You might want to check out the Pertronix wiring diagram that I scanned and attached to the second post in this thread. They recommend retaining the resistor.

The coil isn't designed to handle the full 12v (actually ~13.5 while a car is running) - that's the reason for the resistor. e9 coils are designed to give the proper secondary voltage with <12v to the primary. That way, the resistor can be shunted while starting (and while the system voltage is <12v due to the starter's demands) and the coil will still be receiving its normal primary voltage.

If you really want to remove your resistor, install a Bosch blue coil - they are designed to run at 12v. Then there is no need for the wire between the starter solenoid and coil "+" terminal that used to shunt the resistor.

coil

hi
the reason the ballast is there is to reduce the voltage to the points, and therefore they will last longer.
i have done many conversion for to el-ignition on other makes, i also did try to see if i could blow up a coil by have it connected to 12v over a long period of time ....never did so far:)

but i would recomend as you say use a coil designed for use direckt on 12v, with out ballast.

coil

Bosch blue coils have the resistor internal. You won't get any hotter spark than where you started. If you want to get better spark output, use a Bosch red coil, or similar.

The "point" is to improve ignition performance, right? Since you have eliminated the breaker points which previously placed the limitation on the coil output voltage, why not take advantage of it?

Charlie

Back