Cording around door panels. Called?

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
What does everyone call the cording that goes around the door panels to stop air noise?
My car didn't have any when I took it apart.
Any photos of what it looks like and where it goes?

Upholstery shops call it windlace. You can find a samples of cloth versions online.

The cord on our cars was make from same material as interior?
Were cloth cords used for cloth interior cars?
Hard to search for something when I don't know what to call it so sorry if this has been discussed.
Gary

Thanks Markos,
Should have known that.
You link is giving a error message.
I'll try again later.
Gary

Ahh that is because it is my search history. Give
it a go with “welts”. Also try “welting”

What does everyone call the cording that goes around the door panels to stop air noise?
My car didn't have any when I took it apart.
Any photos of what it looks like and where it goes?

Upholstery shops call it windlace. You can find a samples of cloth versions online.

The cord on our cars was make from same material as interior?
Were cloth cords used for cloth interior cars?
Hard to search for something when I don't know what to call it so sorry if this has been discussed.
Gary

I think you mean these? If so, Christoph at cs-Werke has them.
https://www.cs-werk.de/cs-werk-bonn...ertigungen-fuer-bmw-e9/53_1_bmw_e9_keder_set/

‘4 in a set. Can by single ones too/ 7.50€ each. 2-3 weeks before shipping/ delivery’. Contact him for details.....

Keshav

Hey Gary -- what are you using for fasteners to hold the door cards to the doors?

I ask because I don't have these welts, primarily because I could barely get the door cards reinstalled without them and they appear to add even more thickness. If I could find better fasteners, I would consider installing the welts.

Thanks guys.

Chris, I have the green plastic push locks in my door cards which my upholstery guy made new. They are fairly long but I haven't actually tried any of this part of assembly yet.
Just trying to think ahead.
I think I had one welt and it was interior cover vinyl but not sure how it was held in place.
The cs-werk brand it just rubber. I can get that in the US easily.
I'm going to have to study this more closely soon.
Gary

The original vinyl wrapped plastic piping was riveted all around the edge of the door. Some attach it to the door card, I wouldn’t. You could use very small screws as well.

The original vinyl wrapped plastic piping was riveted all around the edge of the door. Some attach it to the door card, I wouldn’t. You could use very small screws as well.

My CSI had tiny screws holding the welt to the door. I presumed that it was original. They certainly looked original.

The aluminum door frame trim was riveted on though.

Now that my beater is parked in the garage and uncovered, it will be the source for the barrage of reference pictures. It is hard to say anything for certain with a data point of one 45yo car. I’ll try to bump my experience with the previous junker against my project car and at least take my data points to two. Both cars were poorly maintained so more info from others is helpful.

This is car #2 with tiny screws holding the door welts on. I also don’t think that any of the welts have actual plastic piping inside them. I’ve mentioned it before but they would be easy to make with a sewing machine and some vinyl. Unlike a lot of vinyl in the car this is like the traditional american stuff with the fabric back.

5A388809-D77E-4765-B1B3-8E25BE3BA726.jpeg

The piping on the body of the car is much larger and softer due to the diameter. They are held in place by the aluminum trim, which is rivited to the car body. I like to differentiate aluminum from chrome since one can polish themselves if they are so included.

1AD78F52-DA54-45CA-A8FC-5D40EF358D1A.jpeg

Back