Cost of a 5 speed swap

RIQUE

Reaction score
I understand that there are basically two ways around a 5 speed swap.

1. Buy the whole kit from Carl at LaJolla
2. Buy the parts yourself

Question is what is the cost of either option if one does the work?

Thanks Enrique

corsachili

Reaction score
If you can find a 5spd at Pick-n-Pull you can do the entire thing for less than $500, provided you do the work yourself. I'm not sure how much it costs to have someone else do the work, but I'm sure it's more than $500.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Since you are staring with an auto, it makes it more expensive, as you will have to snag a pedal set, master/slave cylinders, and (worst of all) a manual shifter surround. Those parts alone will run at least 500$, if you get new cylinders. (a good idea)

The trans is actually not the major cost for you, since like corsachili said, you can get a Getrag 265 or 260 for ~500$ from most pick-n-pulls. That said, the condition of the transmission from these places is highly suspect. Unless you want to keep an "emergency transmission rebuild" fund at the ready, a rebuilt unit by a reputable trans builder (like Metric Mechanic or Blanton) will be the way to go.

The other main cost is the driveshaft, which must be modified to fit the longer 5 speeds. Most driveshaft places can do this for between 300-500$.

How much does Carl want for his combined package?

Honolulu

Reaction score
No wait...

if you start with an auto trans, you can re-use the driveshaft and speedo cable in the 5-speed. In this case you will NOT have to get someone to do something funky to the driveshaft, and that's good, cuz not many places like to balance a two-piece shaft.

It's do-able to balance the front and rear sections individually, but....

You'll need, based on my conversion from auto to 4-speed and later to five speed:

Flywheel (used okay if good) and new bolts
Clutch master and slave cylinders, plus piping between them
Clutch kit: pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout bearing
needle bearing for trans input shaft, in flywheel. May need special puller tool.
pedal set from manual trans Bavaria
the trans and shifter platform, likely to need new rubber bushed mounts
(assume trans comes with throwout bearing arm)
shifter
shifter surround (make your own, 'k?)
Hardy disc (guibo, donut, whatever you want to call it)

Also odd bits and pieces, hardware, hand cleaner, friend (though I did both myself). The second time around, you can do it in a weekend, if you're handy and go right to it.

My five speed, from a car that hadn't run in years, was kinda growly noisy at first, but quieted down after 500 miles and another oil change. Started with 50/50 ATF and 90-weight, went to straight 90 after the change.

JP A-1

Reaction score
5 spd install

hey rique
i am doing a 5 spd conversion right now for a customer.
give me a call if you decide not to do the work your self.
check out website
JP Cadoux ~

[email protected]
www.a1importsautoworks.com
phn ....(415) 256-1949
fax .....(415) 456-2988

RIQUE

Reaction score
I did some net surfing and found a reasonable 260/6 detrag. 500 with a 6 month warranty. I have read the 265 is better but then I will not need
to get an additional bell housing right? also I can use my stock auto tranny drive shaft right? I won't be racing the car so I guess the 260 will hold up.

Thanks for the input, Enrique

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
260 May not be a good choice. The 260s have no provision for speedometer cable drive. So you will have to find an electronic speedometer that fits the CS instrument panel and devise some sort of electronic signaler. Further, I've never seen any info about the length of the 260 compared to the 265. If the 260 is any shorter than the 265, I don't think you will be able to make your auto trans driveshaft work, nor will it work if the 260 is much more than an inch or so longer.

This is based on my experience putting a 265 and auto trans driveshaft into one of my E9s.

RIQUE

Reaction score
Does what Honolulu state hold true only for the 265/6?

"if you start with an auto trans, you can re-use the driveshaft and speedo cable in the 5-speed. In this case you will NOT have to get someone to do something funky to the driveshaft, and that's good, cuz not many places like to balance a two-piece shaft. "

Enrique