Coupe Value Redux

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
So my car was at a BMW dealer for service last week; parts on order so the coupe was placed in their showroom rotunda. Couple came in twice looking for the owner; they finally ran into my Dad who was picking the car up for me and offered him $35K. Say what you will about value, but a person that knows what they want and has money will pay top dollar...

Hey Len,

Nice story!! Truth be told though...todays market for a car of your ilk, $35 would probalbly be a starting point of negotiation.
Especially for someone who isn't deperate to sell....

IMHO,

Chuck

Not 4 sale here either

Usual long story follows:

Len--your experience simply confirms what I have been saying for the past 2-3 years!

It is time that a fine example of the E-9 should and does merit a price-tag of that and above--personally delivered an exceptional example (the nicest original one I have seen in 20 years) to a collection for well above that number a couple of years ago.

Consider the true cost of bringing a marginal one back to life--just ask Malc what is his hourly rate--first just to get the metal together!! and then the money pit begins to start as it is fitted with suitable clothing to compliment the fine metal from those long, long hours spent with the Mig and Tig in ye olde garage.

Would not risk offering the BLUMAX 4 sale at $40K as I believe it would be snapped up quickly--even with its over 400K miles!!

Had it at coffee 'n cars this morning--and among all the machinery on display was one of the recent Ferrari F-1 cars and the new 599--even so--either there are many carguys who lie in their kind and complimentary words of admiration for the BLUMAX and astonishment at its condition with that many miles--or feel pity for its caretakers obvious advanced age and his more obvious high mileage (than BLUMAX shows) and are very careful as to not trigger a coronary should an unkind remark inadvertantly slip out and tip the old man over!! (;>)

Point is--even with that kind of new stuff around many do stop to look and admire our "oldies"--a young one did who stated he had never seen one before--this being in SoCal where there are more than any other place on the planet-3 other e-9's there including Paul Cains custom fjiord 3.8CSi--at the end of our gathering a fellow oldtimer stopped--he is one of the two guys who started Crystal Cove that ended and has morphed into coffee 'n cars--he engaged me in a 30 minute discussion as to his strong preference for older machines with "soul" such as our E-9--after my pep talk he may well become one of us as he is cleaning out an extra parking spot in his garage! JMT

Back