Coupe wheels

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Hi All,
I’ve been toying with resto-mod upgrades to my Polaris e9. Among many many ideas for color, drivetrain, interior/ seats etc. the wheels are one of the most vital parts to getting my vision of this car correct. Part of what I’m doing is making it my own. In this, I intend to stay closely within period and bmw/e9 acceptable parameters. In this process I’ve not really found wheels that are unique enough (stock), or those that have been heavily used as upgrades (Alpina, Bbs Rs etc). The later being great options that I can pull of the shelf, but they just haven’t seemed “cool” and authentic enough to hold my attention for what I envision as a special car. (Don’t get me wrong, these are some of the best option that look amazing). My solution to this problem is to produce a hybrid wheel using old bmw stuff and new bmw stuff. I’m working on casting centers that fit both BMW style 5 rims and BBS rs. I’m curious what you guys think and if anyone might be interested in my centers. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks mark

Attachments

• ABB3B7E5-4142-433C-A5D1-297A6785C2CF.jpeg
    ABB3B7E5-4142-433C-A5D1-297A6785C2CF.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 146
  • A63B8C21-AE9C-4815-9526-B55BD4535176.jpeg
    A63B8C21-AE9C-4815-9526-B55BD4535176.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 153

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
And yes, I actually hacked up an e9 rim to get my idea underway

Attachments

• 26907308-70B7-4726-B9DF-162DA9E4D0AB.jpeg
    26907308-70B7-4726-B9DF-162DA9E4D0AB.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 150
  • BB077ECA-E691-46BF-AA31-DD7A2D3D654A.jpeg
    BB077ECA-E691-46BF-AA31-DD7A2D3D654A.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 97A9A265-7E43-4A03-8A90-2BB5FA38B92D.jpeg
    97A9A265-7E43-4A03-8A90-2BB5FA38B92D.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 163

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mark,

interesting idea ... will be curious how it really comes out. this is likely going to be relatively busy visually.

so here's my question for you. what size wheels are you trying to end up with? being that the stock wheel you are using is 14" and the rs is either 16" or 17"

have you looked at the 16" H+B wheels or the Weds Bavaria- it might give you some ideas that connect to standard BBS lips / barrels

there is also the style 19 wheel - for another design idea of how to modify the pattern of the original wheel. have you looked at the BBS racing wheels (magnesium faces) - they are period correct and not as common.
1599370663375.png

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Kudos on the engineering! I inquired on this a little over five years ago (has it been that long?). Times have changed but the response at the time wasn’t great.

What I know is that the Alpina style wheels are used on about 80% of e9’s. The remaining 20% consists of factory wheels, BBS, and other. A period throwback wheel seems appropriate, if you can dial in the asthetics.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have always personally loved the original wheels, but maybe even more so when they lean more towards the Dino 246 GT wheels (google that if you haven't noticed..) that are first cousins...I did a mock up with a cap that doesn't quite fit, but assume that there might be some out there that do. Some have black centers, some don't, but maybe that would make Mark's idea even less pedestrian. Losing the pancake-sized cap makes the wheel a little less fuddy-duddy, maybe? What do you think?

Attachments

• e9 Dino wheels.JPG
    e9 Dino wheels.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 153

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I started playing with the style 5 as I liked the simplicity of the barrels being one piece. I also have a set of the style 19s. (Exact same barrel as style 5) I have moved off of this idea as of late as it creates some offset problems. Also, I think that the 17” wheel is a bit too much for a coupe-sort of like its trying too hard? I’ll most likely make my centers to fit the BBS RS barrels. I think that the interchangeability will ultimately help fix any off set issues, allow for staggered set up and if I really wanted to, I could use stepped barrels to 17 (just to contradict myself haha)

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
Dave, I too have always liked the original wheel and admired the Dino wheel as well. When I did my goofy little mock up, I used the original pancake center cover. I was trying to stay as true to OEM as I could but frankly I’ve never liked it. Your comment and photo really drive that point home (you are right on target) I’ll have to play with center caps as well as a blacked out center

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Here are my cool ideas for resto mod E9 wheels

(1) center lock peg drive - ala BBS racing wheels. A guy next to me at a recent race had these on a older IMSA Ferrari I am I thought they looked great! You should see the wrench handle. IIRC maybe 1.7 meters long, limited by the width of your trunk. It’s the logical next step beyond BBS RS.

(2) panasports looked amazing on Franz F’s 2000CS. Might they look good in 15” or 16” diameter on our later cars?

(3) (RSPorsche) Style 19’s have always been my favorite e39 wheel but I wouldn’t go to 17”, which would ruin the classic 1970’s firm but not harsh ride quality.

403D5802-D1EE-46EA-A3F2-CBDF8196C0BD.jpeg

A92B7068-F7B9-467A-800B-B414695EA095.jpeg

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the centerlock is definitely cool piece of kit. i have always liked panasports - on british sports cars and 2002. only seen them on one e9 and i thought it looked okay. this 2000cs looks quite good.

i also like style 19's, just too modern for a coupe. the thought was perhaps finding a way to modify the original if a new casting was being made. perhaps removing a bit more of the metal between the 5 spokes while staying true to the original design.

i have been giving thought to someday doing 17's like @vince's beautiful fjord coupe. thinking of 50 series tires up front and 45 series rears, rather than 45 up front and 40 in the rears. not a lot different than 55's / 50's of the 16" setup. i drive everyday on 35 / 30 series tires ... so i am accustom to a harsher ride. if / when i go that route, there is the thought of coilover suspension with slightly softer progressive springs .... we shall see, that's a ways off as i am going with the 15" oz alpinas since i have them and i like the look ... will probably spend the money on the pirelli cn36 tires for the 15" for a period cool look

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I always liked the look of the vintage Gotti wheels and almost bought a set in the 80’s but went with BBS instead.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Like was said in Silence of the Lambs; "We covet what we see"...that pretty much explains the migration towards the large percentage of Alpinas, repro-Alpinas, and Faux-pinas...The original alloys are a great design, but they are beautifully "common", such that we become bored... If all women (with due apologies to the ladies out there..) looked like Christie Brinkley, the two or three Tilda Swintons out there would be the most desirable as they were different/rare...or maybe not..
One of the coolest e9's I have seen for sale, had the star shaped Chromodoras (don't know the name) that were on many of the Ferrari Daytona's. Car was rusty as a boat anchor, but had those wheels...I think the car was about $1200 and probably about the value of the wheels, and I still regret it. Sorry no image, many years ago...

Last edited:

Oldbmwcoupes

Reaction score
I had a set of those on one of my fiat spiders years ago. A rare wheel even 30years ago. I’ve forgotten about that wheel until now ( I have no idea how I could have, being such a wheel fanatic, but I did) I’ll have to see if I can find a 16” reproduction of that in the Italian world and play with welding up the bolt pattern and machining new to fit. Thanks for the konk on the head and cross pollination

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Alpinas are like the BOSE of E9 wheels? A bit too common to be special but still very nice. I think that’s why I like the HB and Weds wheels so much.

posix

Reaction score
I’m kind of in the same boat I don’t know what wheels I want. I like aplinas but they are very common. Not a huge fan of Weds.

I haven’t seen any wheels besides the stock or alpinas in person.