Crankshaft vibration damper mystery

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
So I took a bunch of parts to be powder coated, among them, the crankshaft vibration damper/pulley. Seen below in its original oily glory. Notice its profile.

P1030038.JPG

P1030039.JPG

When I go pick everything up they can't find the vibration damper but they have two parts that sure look a heck of a lot like it but thinner than the original damper and it's not obvious how these two parts fit together to make the much thicker original damper... Notice the thinner profile of the main pulley disk.

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

I have a feeling these two parts are held together by a rubber disk that must have burned in their oven, where they de-grease everything prior to blasting/coating, but may not be fessing up to it. Does anyone have a vibration damper on hand that could confirm that's how it is indeed put together?

And, if so... does anyone have one to sell...:oops:

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Man, do I feel stoopid... Never picked up on the fact that that thing had a rubber element in there... So there are a bunch on Ebay including the one you posted Jerry. Of course, they are all different part numbers from what the E3/E9 had and they fit the later E12/23/24, etc. Any first-hand knowledge of one that will fit?

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
Lucky

that it didn't turn loose would be my view.

It sure looks to me that they all have balance marks ( drilled). The one I posted is an early series. BMW shows them still available but superceeded.

If it helps my damper is marked as an early 3.5. ( I was under there cleaning up yesterday.)

I'm sure there's someone here that can help.. might take a bit of time.

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
Rats for sure. Since you are there anyway....good time to retro something that will act as the crank trigger for a possible EFI conversion. Love to know how you go.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
there is a rubber element that fuses the parts together..

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 133