Crystal Cove Relocated - 10/21

Rakearch

Reaction score
The world is not coming to an end!

The Eviction Party from Crystal Cove was spectacular this morning. Record attendance with many cars and spectators having to park across PCH at the State Park. The slight rain did not detour the turnout. The rain reminded us that even the Gods are angry.

The good news first: A New Temporary Home

Ford Motor Car Company Premier Automotive Group ("PAG") building --- North American home of Aston Martin, Jaguar, Land Rover, Volvo and Ford's Advanced Design Studio and centrally located in the middle of the Irvine Spectrum --- is available to host this Saturday morning event. Tom Shaugnessy, Freeman Thomas, and several others, at Ford have offered their facility. Their intent is for a Commercial free gathering in the true Spirit of Crystal Cove. They have show parking for 450 and 1000 or more spectators. They have a 40 car lot near the front that will be offered to car clubs and makes on a rotating basis. I will sign up the BMW group and let you know.

They will open up their Cafeteria for pastries and coffee. Across the street is the Irvine Spectrum.

Chances are a few folks will decide to find their own smaller places to meet with just a few friends, but the main meet will most likely happen at PAG.

The bad news: The Irvine Company

Marc Greeley(one of the two original Crystal Cove settlers), Barry Meguiar (Mequiar Car Products) and Congressman John Campbell all regulars are continuing with discussions with the Irvine Company for a new permanent location in Newport Beach near the Water. They have suggested Fashion Island near the Food Court. No Residential, No parking issues, tremendous opportunities for merchants. Seems like a no brainer.

The Community and the City of Newport are squarely behind the gathering; unfortunately the Irvine Company has thus far turned their backs on the car community.

Most of the car people appreciate the Irvine Companies support over the last 3 years and understand the constraints of the current location. We also know that several of the Merchants have done well by the show.

The Irvine Company in their typical arrogance has again abandoned their centers tenants and prevented them from accessing this incredible Demographic. Many of the Merchants have been warned by the Irvine Company not to talk to Car show organizers.

Last I checked, the U.S. Constitution allows for Freedom of speech so please send your thoughts to Irvine Co. spokesman Bill Rams. Ask him for an explanation before you will continue to patronize their properties.

Corporate Offices -- 949.720.2000
http://www.irvinecompany.com/aboutus/contactus.asp

Caution: You may want to check with the City of Irvine as they may have removed this Right from their City Limits. They certainly have removed Free Expression, as every house is mandated to be the same.

Today’s local Pilot article:
http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2006/10/14/news/dpt-cars14.txt

Thoughts on Crystal Cove move

Moving to the Ford complex at the Spectrum sounds terrific to me. I'm puzzled why people see a problem with this change.

Crystal Cove was a beautiful location, but let's face it - we just outgrew it. While I'm not suggesting that The Irvine Company are nice people, the truth is that too many cars/people were showing up at a location with too little space. That's the price of success. Sure the Irvine Co. folks could have handled things differently, but either a larger venue or some means of limiting attendance was needed. I applaud Ford for taking this on, and hope it brings them some badly-needed business.

Fashion Island? Well, that would address the "resident's complaints" problem, but I suspect that this event would outgrow the available space there as well. Plus, the Irving Co. would never approve it after their experience with CC - in their defense, when the stores open at 10am, stragglers at any show held there would be in the way. Plus FI is kind of a nuiscance to get into - on the other hand, the Spectrum, right off 5, 405, and 73 is very easy to access.

Change is painful, but it isn't optional. Time to move on.

Crystal cove substitute

I loved being by the ocean, but the PAG building will be great also. Are we anticipating a 7:00 AM start time?

Regards,

Alex

Back