CS headliner

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a source for the original headlining material for the coupe? The original headliner that is on my coupe now has the perforations in addition to which were also very faint crisscrossing lines which encompass the whole material.

I just bought a supposedly oem CS headlining kit from Carl Nelson. Although it looks pretty similar to the original with the perforated holes, the new vinyl does not contain the crisscrossing lines of the old material. Was this 'newer' design fitted onto the 74 and later coupes? BTW, the few square yards of vinyl cost about $500. I probably could do the installation with Connelly leather for a lot lesser sum. The price for maintaining originality, seriously, would'nt have it any other way though.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I was not able to find the original when I did mine last month. I wound up with some reasonably close material with the criss crosses and dimples where the tiny holes were. It has a vinyl surface and a thin canvas like backing and it is a bit stretchy. I don't recall the exact price but I think is was about $250-$300 from World Upholstery. I recommend calling them to order because there are 3 or 4 different kits and they know how to pick the right one.

http://www.worlduph.com/bmw2.htm

It is pretty hard to do this job without the front and rear window out. Then again, it is hard to do regardless. You also need to remove the door / window trim, and the sun roof, and, and, and. It took me the better part of 1 and a half weekends to do it when my car was already stripped down. I must say, the new headliner is really nice though. I just finished and posted about the Sunvisors today.