CSi Baikal Blue is finally back ... Is a CSi with 20 more HP worth more then a CS?

execmalibu

Reaction score
A 911S sold last weekend for $215,000!!! The ONLY difference between a 911S and a 911E is the 911S has 20 more HP then a 911E which is worth about half of the 911S... I was wondering is a CSi with 20 more HP worth more then a standard CS?

Anyway after 6 months in the body/paint shop I finally got my CSi back and it looks Great!...

Everyone knows that virtually EVERY E9 has some rust somewhere. Even E9s who spent their entire life in So Cal or Arizona all seem to have minor hidden rust spots.

This CSi was originally an Italian car and the climate in Italy is very dry and similar to our South West... Surprisingly when we stripped the car we found almost no rust in the bottom of the car or in the rockers but there was was minor rust in other very strange places. Like higher up on the drip rails.

There is another E9 in the same body shop that is completely disassembled on a dolly (engine,trans and all mechanical/interior/wiring everything is off))and the shell is 100% stripped to bare metal and it looks amazinly straight and appeared to be absolutely rust free...

But once they started working on that car they found that the drip rails were paper thin with holes exactly like my CSi... After opening the drip rails we learned that the idiots at Karmann installed the front E9 fenders with a flat shelf way up above the tires that catches dirt and water. There is no where for the debris or water to escape so moist dirt is trapped and eventually rusts the fenders and drip rails. There is also no way to properly undercoat up in there either.

Here is my CSi so far... I installed the original Alpina 7x14 wheels and the correct CSi leather steering wheel (thanks Murray!)...

The car was originally Baikal Blue with a Tan interior. I still have a ton of work left to do when I install the complete original tan interior I bought through Stan (thanks Stan!).

Then the insanely small detail work starts with all of the little minor things to make the car look as original as possible:roll:.

Attachments

• CSi2.jpg
    CSi2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 207
  • CSi Eng.jpg
    CSi Eng.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 189
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a timeless look in Baikal, Love it. The steering wheel looks great too. Just trying to figure out what the drip rail is. Is that on the underside of the fender?

In Canada we have had amazing results with light oily rust proofing that seeps everywhere. It is sold under the Krown or Rust Check brand. Anybody who wants their car to last through a lot of winters is advised to go the yearly route. This is not an undercoating, but an oily film. It does not degrade electrical or rubber components if shot in a reasonable volume.