csi/csl brake caliper rebuild question

soxrus

Reaction score
Does anyone on the board have the part number (oem or aftermarket ATE) for the "flat" sealing washers for CSI/CSL brake calipers ???? These are the washers that seal both sides of the "spacer" block between inside and outside caliper halves (four per caliper). Please don't tell they are included in the rebuild kits as I have rebuilt several sets of these calipers and ordered more rebuild kits from BMW than I care to admit !!!!! The condition of these washers has always been acceptable and reused ....... however we are rebuilding a set of euro M635csi front calipers (yes they appear to be identical) and have some that need replacing !!!!

These washers simply are not listed as a BMW replacement part and the customer "service" liason at BMW NA says the caliper must be replaced, because this part is not serviced ...... (the same guy tells me that my CSL serial number "is a Volkswagon" when I give him the "first and only" seven digits !?!?! Idiots !!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't be the only person to experience this ..... and yeah I'm being a little lazy to keep from doing all the necessary research ..... I'm going to reach out to Mobile Traditions next week if the board can't help !!!!!

Be Safe all, Jimmy

serial number

Your are correct ...... LAST 7 digits ....... EXCEPT THAT CSL's ONLY HAVE SEVEN DIGITS !?!?! I've been to OEM.com and the seals are not listed. The part is however listed in the "older blue parts book" but the number is no longer a good number and no updated number given !?!? I have also tried giving the parts dept. the last 7 digits of the M635csi and again BMW says to replce the caliper (at 900+ side, list !!!!) ............. no dis-respect, but why would any car company sell a rebuild kit and not include all parts necessary to complete the job ..... and then inform you that a "new/rebuilt" caliper was required, if these sealing washers were needed !!!!!!!

HELP !?!?

Be Safe all, Jimmy

did you try giving Master Carl a call?
or, Mesa Performance did a nice rebuilding my calipers.....

HTH
-shanon

soxrus said:
Does anyone on the board have the part number (oem or aftermarket ATE) for the "flat" sealing washers for CSI/CSL brake calipers ????

Rubber sealing ring between inner and outer caliper part (for 2,5 CS and 2800 CS 2x for each caliper, for 3,0 CS, CSi, CSL 4x for each caliper) 2,50 Euro each @ Walloth u. Nesch :p
Jef Rolison
http://www.wallothnesch.com/e/frameparts.htm

I have always been afraid to split calipers because:

Almost impossible to get the bolts in the UK
The torque on these stretch bolts seems to be a closely guarded secret

So.... What's the torque on them?

Thanks
Malc

brake caliper seals

Update .....

Hope to have a US source for these seals by tomorrow (Thanks Nat) VERT EXPENSIVE (around .10 ea) Will advise if they work out !!!!

Not sure about the Torque numbers for the bolts ...... I'll check tomorrow ...... I'm sure Kenny is using the numbers from the BMW "blue" shop manuel ....

Be Safe all, Jimmy

I cracked the calipers on my CS project years ago. I powdercoated the piaces, replaced the o-rings that seal the inner passages and re-assembled them with the original bolts, tightening them "as much as seemed right with an 8" ratchet handle".

That was easily 4 years ago.

Doug? Are any of the four leaking?

Tiny leak at the fitting of the brake line to the housing. A wrench and 30 seconds and no more leak.

If you get bored go find 548 Tahquitz Pl in Pacific Palisades and let me know if it is still there. Home in 1959.

Back