CSi Engine Noise

RogerB

Reaction score
My '72 CSi that just sets in the shop most of the time has developed a high pitched "squeal" when I start it now. The squeal subsides at idle and starts again when the engine speed is increased. Is it requesting a new water pump or some sort of lubricant; or, could it be something entirely different? Thanks in advance!

corsachili

Reaction score
Definitely something pump related, but I'd guess it's a belt rather than the actual pump. Try some belt dressing (available at any good auto parts store) to see if it goes away.

gpetrus

Reaction score
Re: High pitch whistling noise

This is a guess as to the reason for your high pitch noise, but here it goes. I used to drive a gas tanker, the plumbing underneath these trailers holds 10-15 gallons, that is always unaccounted for. The drivers knowing this, rigged up 4 inch fittings that connected to a funnel, therby filling their cars at the end of their shift. The only problem with this is that there is a reason why gas station pumps have filters on them. When the trailers are empty there is a visible layer of dirty residue sitting on the bottom of each compartment. You could always tell the guys who used the discounted gasoline because their car's always made a whistling noise you could hear when they drove out of the parking lot. They also used to make an inordinate number of trips to parts yards to get new fuel pumps. So if your car sits alot, my guess is you picked up something from the bottom of your tank and it has gone through the pump.