CSL Boot Lid Spring Torsion

AndyNZ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As far as I can tell, the CSL has the same boot / trunk lid springs as the other models with the steel lid.

However on mine (and with the much lighter boot lid) upon unlatching the lid, it catapults up with so much force that if you happened to be leaning over it at the time, you'd break your nose.

My car isn't fitted with the spoiler, and the addition of the tool box doesn't have much effect.

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you resolve it? Or is it normal across most cars?

The problem with leaving it as it is (aside from broken noses) is that the force on the folded bracket (that the catch mounts to) that rivets to the underside of the boot lid causes the aluminium to harden & become brittle over time, such that with a previous owner, the bracket simply ripped off.

Last edited:

Henrik

Reaction score
Your problem is also discussed in this thread: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/boot-lid-stay.39913/#post-345540
Since my first plan was to omit the tool box (I did not have one) and only use one large boot lid trim instead I modified the springs to handle the force in a more moderate way.
I made a "kink" on both springs just before they joins with the boot lid. This helped a lot, but at the same time they loosed the ability to keep the boot lid in a fully open (static) position because the total spring movement was limited.
I wasn´t satisfied with the solution so after I managed to source a tool box I mounted it and bendt the springs back to their original shape. Now the lid opens in a normal way, even without tools in the box (the two trim pieces on each side are in place).
The only downside is that I need to use some strength to close the boot lid the last 10-15cm. So I have to be careful not to make any dents in the lid. I guess this is common for all CSL owners.

AndyNZ

Reaction score
Thank you, I hadn't seen that earlier thread.

I have both torsion springs fitted. We thought about removing one (then the force is perfect), however were concerned about repeated slight twisting of the boot lid each time it is opened & closed, considering that the spring would be just operating on one side, instead of being balanced.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you, I hadn't seen that earlier thread.

I have both torsion springs fitted. We thought about removing one (then the force is perfect), however were concerned about repeated slight twisting of the boot lid each time it is opened & closed, considering that the spring would be just operating on one side, instead of being balanced.
I took mine out around 2016. No issues.

Marc-M

Reaction score
On the city packs they have a tool kit just like the CSi and the weight of that stops it smacking your face off.

On my car it kicks up about 18 inch and then sits at that height.

But you can take the torsion bars off and bend them too not be as harsh.....
Running with 1 bar could distort the lid in the aperture.. bit worth a try.
However - the torsion bars do exert pressure on the trunk lid and change the shape of the lid under pressure, so before you do anything I would see what the fit is like when under full pressure and then just undo the flat links off, that attach to the inner wheel arch and under no pressure see if there is much of a difference in fit....
I have found that the E9s are prone to - For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction -